Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Oh, my mistake. It wasn't the Nexus One. It was just the latest Nexus.

You sure it wasn't the nexus s. One of the only truely great things about the galaxy nexus's camera is its 1080p recording is very good and one of the few phones that record it without dropping frames (omap 4460 has a dedicated video encoding chip). The camera itself is only average in low light, although its pretty respectable for outdoor shots.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
You sure it wasn't the nexus s. One of the only truely great things about the galaxy nexus's camera is its 1080p recording is very good and one of the few phones that record it without dropping frames (omap 4460 has a dedicated video encoding chip). The camera itself is only average in low light, although its pretty respectable for outdoor shots.

Yeah, it's just the "Galaxy Nexus", my friend's phone. We were using our phones for video recording, so we compared the video quality. By "higher quality", I mean that the iPhone's video both looked better and had a higher bitrate when both were compressed with H.264. The audio in the video from the Nexus severely lacked bass, too.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
A few thoughts, not complaints, but rather a reflection on what Apple has apparently chosen to do with the "look" of the upcoming iPhone.

If what we have been repeatedly seeing over the last week (the longer black form factor) is indeed the next iPhone, I believe one of the reasons that Apple chose to keep it almost exactly the same is that a tremendous amount of people like that look. So on a positive note, that makes sense for them to simply duplicate it, and make it a bit longer.

After giving it much consideration, I'm thinking the real priority may have been to achieve the 16:9 aspect ratio, which just happened to end up being 4.0" due to the decision to keep the phone the same width. Originally I thought perhaps the goal was nothing larger than 4.0" but when the prototypes kept appearing as the same width, then it occurred to me it's the 16:9, and maintaining the same width they were focused on, especially since that's a popular aspect ratio for other smartphones.

Another huge advantage of doing what Apple has chosen to do, is the advantage of keeping the costs very low. This will be the third year the phone looks exactly the same. I'm sure some will argue it looks different due to the length, but at a glance and from a short to long distance, the extra length will be unnoticeable.

Finally by repeating the same old design, it will give them a wonderful opportunity to make a very triumphant announcement at the next earnings call about how they've set yet another record for revenue.

Let's face it, the more money Apple makes, the happier the company is. There's a lot of people who will pay handsomely for that Apple Logo, no matter what.

I figured they couldn't make it wider with the external antennae band b/c that would cause the length of the bands to change. With antennae, the length is extremely important in order to get it to tune to different bands

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I figured they couldn't make it wider with the external antennae band b/c that would cause the length of the bands to change. With antennae, the length is extremely important in order to get it to tune to different bands

The length of the antenna has no bearing on frequency. In fact the longer the antenna the better.

If one wanted the best possible reception the Antenna should be put back inside the phone like every other feature phone or smartphone has since the very first cellular phone.

Using an external antenna that you cannot avoid touching unless covered up is a testimony to Apples stubborn desire to cling to styling over performance.

Call quality, connectivity, and noise cancellation is so much better on my SGS III you've got to hear it to believe it.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
The length of the antenna has no bearing on frequency. In fact the longer the antenna the better.

If one wanted the best possible reception the Antenna should be put back inside the phone like every other feature phone or smartphone has since the very first cellular phone.

Using an external antenna that you cannot avoid touching unless covered up is a testimony to Apples stubborn desire to cling to styling over performance.

Call quality, connectivity, and noise cancellation is so much better on my SGS III you've got to hear it to believe it.
It uses two antennas and switches between them for the best signal, it doesn't matter that it's on the outside. In fact, I seem to remember it being able to connect to a network as low as -121dBM compared to -113dBM for other smartphones.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
maybe in ios8 or 9 not 6. Apple is doing the same thing as nokia a while ago. Look where nokia is now, that's where apple is heading if they don't change things up

Sad but true. But at least Apple is listening...SORT OF. I'm referring to the hardware side of it. It looks like everything is pointing towards 4", but if they stay with 3.5" then, YIKES, Apple.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It uses two antennas and switches between them for the best signal, it doesn't matter that it's on the outside. In fact, I seem to remember it being able to connect to a network as low as -121dBM compared to -113dBM for other smartphones.
You're close.

If you look at the phone once it's apart (I have), there's _three_ antennas.

You can even see that from the outside if you look closely.

One is for the phone, one for wifi, and the third for Bluetooth 4.0. If you learn about antennas, you'll understand that touching them impairs performance.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
You're close.

If you look at the phone once it's apart (I have), there's _three_ antennas.

You can even see that from the outside if you look closely.

One is for the phone, one for wifi, and the third for Bluetooth 4.0. If you learn about antennas, you'll understand that touching them impairs performance.
I was talking only about cellular antennas. And yes it does, but you're not going to be holding both the top and bottom antennas at the same time, so one of them is going to be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.