Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
I have an iPhone 13 Pro with Verizon using eSIM. I've confirmed with Verizon that my second eSIM and physical SIM slots are unlocked. I'm travelling internationally and would like to use Google Fi using the second eSIM. When I follow these instructions, I don't get an option to use eSIM (only physical SIM sent to me, but I'm leaving for my trip before I would receive it). When I contact Google support, they suggest I Reset Network Settings but I don't want to do that (mostly not wanting to lose WiFi network passwords). Any suggestions? Will Reset Network Settings cause me to lose WiFi passwords if I have the same WiFi networks on other devices (seems synced via iCloud)?

mjc775

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
Sorry I don’t have an answer for using Google Fi. However I used Airalo when traveling internationally with my iPhone and was very happy with their service.

Jeepguy01

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
Sorry I don’t have an answer for using Google Fi. However I used Airalo when traveling internationally with my iPhone and was very happy with their service.
With Airalo, are you able to receive iMessages from your original number? Like the OP, I'm also looking for eSIM options.

mjc775

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
With Airalo, are you able to receive iMessages from your original number? Like the OP, I'm also looking for eSIM options.
Not unless they send to the email address associated with your Apple ID. One workaround I used while traveling internationally in 2020 was to turn off iMessage for the line and use the Verizon Message+ app. Of course that only works if Verizon is your primary carrier.

catean

Suspended
Jun 16, 2013
London, UK
Other international eSIM providers are Truphone, Gygsky, Ubigi, and there are others. You install their eSIM profile and you set it as you data line. While you roam you will use data from that line and iMessage and FaceTime and all data on the device will go through that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.