Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2tmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2020
I have a titanium powerbook g4 mercury, with a 500mhz processor, 20gb of hard drive space, and macos 10.3.9 installed on it. The model number is m5884. I have followed this tutorial:
to try and install MacOS 10.4 on my machine. I have had a couple issues. I have a 16GB Sandisk USB 2.0 flash drive, and when I plug it in to my computer (2019 iMac running macos catalina) it shows up just fine in disk utility. I can erase the drive, with no issues. However, when I then go to restore the drive, with a macos 10.4 disk image, I get one of two errors. It either says:

Restoring “Untitled” from “OSX Tiger 10.4.dmg”

Validating target...
Validating source...
Could not validate source - Invalid argument
The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 22.)

When I run it normally. Or, if I press file, and then open disk image, open the image, and mount it, then try to restore the drive with that, it says:

Restoring “Untitled” from “Mac OS X Install DVD”

Validating target...
Validating source...
Validating sizes...
Could not validate sizes - Operation not permitted
The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 1.)

However, I then downloaded the application SuperDuper!, and tried to restore it with that, and encountered no issues. I then plugged my USB drive into my powerbook g4, and booted into open firmware. I followed all steps shown, with a couple issues here. One was that after using the command "dev / ls", I didn't get the "press space to load more" prompt. As well as that, my USB drive is listed as "usb@19" instead of "usb@15,1" which appeared in the video. I understand that it probably wouldn't say 15, it would say 19, but the ",1" still didn't appear. Anyway, I entered in the following commands: (my directory was also pci@f2000000, and when I clicked get info the partition number was also 3)

dev / ls
devalias ud /pci@f2000000/usb@19/disk@1
boot ud:3,\System\Library\CoreServices\BootX

And finally, the computer rebooted... and shut down instead of booting up to the tiger installer. When I turned it on with the power button, It booted back into MacOS 10.3.9.

There is no data whatsoever on the hard drive, and I can do anything to the machine (minus buying new parts) because for the most part I am just doing this to have a cool vintage computer, as opposed to using it for actual useful purposes. Therefore, I would prefer to not buy anything unnecessary.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide. If I missed any key information, please let me know and I will give you whatever I am able find.

Thank you!

aurora72

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Türkiye
I had issues with the SuperDuper while doing image restoring in the past. I use Carbon Copy Cloner / CCC to clone-back up images and either Disk Utility or CCC to write the image onto harddisk or DVD.

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
Just to provide a little balance:

I've used both Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper! repeatedly over the years. I like CCC's fine-grained control, but prefer SD!'s interface. That's just me. But, I've never once encountered a problem while using SD!. I have, however, had CCC error out and refuse to complete a clone that SD!, for whatever reason, handled without issue.

Nothing works all the time. Both are fine products in my view. FWIW.

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.