Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hello,

I have a Mac Pro 4.1>5.1, bought a metal supported GPU on eBay, a Radeon RX560 and installed Mojave without any problems. However, running Mojave I ran into some problems and I'm not sure if it's Mojave or the card. I asked about it in the big thread and was told it was software related and was advised to do a clean install of Mojave. However, there's more to it now and since it's really off topic in the big thread, I thought a new thread would be better.

Here's my problem.

I use Lightroom and Photoshop (both the last stand-alone versions). They performed great on High Sierra with the GT120 card, I never saw a spinning ball. Now, in Mojave, Photoshop gives me spinning balls whenever I use the brush tool, which is most of the time. Just for a split second, but a mini stroke on and there it is again. So I can't do a full stroke and it is annoying. Also, I tried some games. And some are all glitched out, for lack of a better term. Or if I can run them they are unplayable because things just don't work well and my heroes die in the weirdest ways.

So at first I thought to follow the advice I was given and do a clean install on a fresh drive but then I decided to check the card's performance with one of my internal spinning drives (used for storage), still on High Sierra. And I got the same kind of glitches, both in Photoshop and in games. So, isn't it the card after all then? Or are that card and High Sierra a bad match altogether? I know very little of this stuff, so I could really use a bit of help. Thank you.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Do you have pictures of the glitches? It will make easier to guess if it's a hardware problem.

Another thing, if your RX 560 requires additional power, most models require it, how you are powering it?

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Hi, Alex. Thanks for responding. My RX 560 does not need additional power.
I will run a game, make screenshots and post them a bit later (I'm in the kitchen, cooking dinner at the moment).

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi, Alex. Thanks for responding. My RX 560 does not need additional power.
I will run a game, make screenshots and post them a bit later (I'm in the kitchen, cooking dinner at the moment).
Are you sure that the your RX 560 do not require additional power? The video card does not have any PCIe power connectors? Which card you have?

Most require it and the ones that the specs say that is optional, fail when running macOS without additional power.

Usually only Dell/HP low-power 2GB cards that do not have the power connector can work with macOS without additional power connected.

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Are you sure that the your RX 560 do not require additional power? The video card does not have any PCIe power connectors? Which card you have?

Most require it and the ones that the specs say that is optional, fail when running macOS without additional power.

Usually only Dell/HP low-power 2GB cards that do not have the power connector can work with macOS without additional power connected.
Yes, I'm sure it needs no additional power. I ordered a mini 6pin to 6pin I believe it was as it was suggested that that would be needed, but it wasn't. The card is the Asus Radeon RX560, 4gb. Here's a pic of the box where is explicitly says "unplugged, only motherboard power needed".

Attachments

• IMG_3132.jpg
    IMG_3132.jpg
    577.9 KB · Views: 94

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Yes, I'm sure it needs no additional power. I ordered a mini 6pin to 6pin I believe it was as it was suggested that that would be needed, but it wasn't. The card is the Asus Radeon RX560, 4gb. Here's a pic of the box where is explicitly says "unplugged, only motherboard power needed".

Like I've wrote before, cards that have the PCIe power connector and say that do not need it in the box, usually have problems with macOS. I'd double check that, even more so that is an overclocked edition.

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
It gets weirder and weirder. For me anyway.

I was trying to grab a screenshot of what the glitching in the games looked like. So I took screenshots as it happened. Turned out the screenshots are fine, not a glitch in sight. So I thought I would record it with my iPhone then, but then the games didn't glitch again, not any of them. I didn't try playing them, as they are slow paced, so not much can go wrong. The one game I did try is a fast and demanding platformer (Super Meat Boy) and it played but was stuttering quite regularly, which in itself is an improvement as yesterday it was totally unplayable.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Like I've wrote before, cards that have the PCIe power connector and say that do not need it in the box, usually have problems with macOS. I'd double check that, even more so that is an overclocked edition.
It's a bit hard to tell from the pics on Asus' site, but it doesn't appear to have a power connector. Of course they don't bother to include a pic of the top of the card, and I'm struggling to find any YouTube videos of it (the search is being "helpful" and returning different cards even when I use that specific model number).

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It's a bit hard to tell from the pics on Asus' site, but it doesn't appear to have a power connector. Of course they don't bother to include a pic of the top of the card, and I'm struggling to find any YouTube videos of it (the search is being "helpful" and returning different cards even when I use that specific model number).

GPU manufacturers like to change specs without notice, so, sometimes it's difficult to really know compatibility and requirements.

Asus have a model that does not have any PCIe 6-pin power connector, but it's a non-OC model:

The OC model is this one and have the PCIe 6-pin power connector:

@Levina Please take a photo of the box label where the model is listed.

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
But Alex, this is the card that you said would be excellent last summer when I had scaling problems with my new Eizo monitor, remember? I can't get multiquote to work, so here's a link to that post: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ot-right.2351005/?post=31263351#post-31263351

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
GPU manufacturers like to change specs without notice, so, sometimes it's difficult to really know compatibility and requirements.

Asus have a model that does not have any PCIe 6-pin power connector, but it's a non-OC model:

The OC model is this one and have the PCIe 6-pin power connector:

@Levina Please take a photo of the box label where the model is listed.
Do you mean this label, Alex?

Attachments

• IMG_3134.jpg
    IMG_3134.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 84

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
No, it doesn't have any power connectors. I've looked the thing over and over, there are none.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
But Alex, this is the card that you said would be excellent last summer when I had scaling problems with my new Eizo monitor, remember? I can't get multiquote to work, so here's a link to that post: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ot-right.2351005/?post=31263351#post-31263351

We were talking about the Sapphire RX 560 (the model that I have here on one of my Mac Pros and it's perfect) and the Asus Strix RX560 EVO-OC, both models that require power connectors and I've warned you to buy one Pcie 6-pin to miniPCIe 6-pin right from the bat.

I really don't know how you got a model without the power connector, if it was my mistake overlooking the auction that you linked back then or the seller sent a different model. Anyway, I never tested this specific model that you bought, so, I don't know if it can work correctly with macOS or not.

You should test a clean install of Mojave with a spare drive to eliminate any software issues, maybe we are discussing a non-issue here.

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
We were talking about the Sapphire RX 560 (the model that I have here on one of my Mac Pros and it's perfect) and the Asus Strix RX560 EVO-OC, both models that require power connectors and I've warned you to buy one Pcie 6-pin to miniPCIe 6-pin right from the bat.

I really don't know how you got a model without the power connector, if it was my mistake overlooking the auction that you linked back then or the seller sent a different model. Anyway, I never tested this specific model that you bought, so, I don't know if it can work correctly with macOS or not.

You should test a clean install of Mojave with a spare drive to eliminate any software issues, maybe we are discussing a non-issue here.
We must have miscommunicated then. I linked to the card and when you said it was excellent and that it was almost identical to your Sapphire, I bought it. Maybe the card in the box is not exactly what it says on the label? I'm on the Mac Pro now, so will check it out tomorrow.

Alex, know that I'm not blaming you for anything here. You are always a great help. And these cards, my god, how many variants are there?! I could always sell it again, get something else. No problem.

I do like Mojave by the way. Some nice improvements, also just little things. So I would like to stay with it. If not with this card, then with another.

I will do a clean install of Mojave, like you suggest. Also tomorrow. :)

MacNB2

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
We must have miscommunicated then. I linked to the card and when you said it was excellent and that it was almost identical to your Sapphire, I bought it. Maybe the card in the box is not exactly what it says on the label? I'm on the Mac Pro now, so will check it out tomorrow.

Alex, know that I'm not blaming you for anything here. You are always a great help. And these cards, my god, how many variants are there?! I could always sell it again, get something else. No problem.

I do like Mojave by the way. Some nice improvements, also just little things. So I would like to stay with it. If not with this card, then with another.

I will do a clean install of Mojave, like you suggest. Also tomorrow. :)
Take screenshots of the system profiler screen showing the Graphics Card details.
That is, just to check that Mojave is actually recognising the card and the drivers are loaded.

Reactions: Levina

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Take screenshots of the system profiler screen showing the Graphics Card details.
That is, just to check that Mojave is actually recognising the card and the drivers are loaded.
These okay?

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2023-03-17 om 00.19.22.png
    Schermafbeelding 2023-03-17 om 00.19.22.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Schermafbeelding 2023-03-17 om 00.22.06.png
    Schermafbeelding 2023-03-17 om 00.22.06.png
    75.6 KB · Views: 97

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Yes they are correct. It shows that the Mojave is using correct drivers and Metal is supported.

As suggested already, try a clean install on another drive.
Good to know that details on the card are okay. Thanks for checking that.
I will do a clean install on another drive, hopefully tomorrow.

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
yes of course. i believe they are close to the same in price so thats why i suggested the 8gb
Thanks!

I am a bit torn right now though. Do I throw more money at the old Mac Pro or not? I would get a new Mac, a Studio or a Mini M2Pro but I really hate not being able to upgrade anything on the new Macs. The Mac Pro spoiled me, I guess. A local guy has a 6,1 for sale, the 8-core, D700 128GB RAM, 1TB SSD for 800 euro. And I’m seriously tempted. What is wisdom? Sigh…

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks!

I am a bit torn right now though. Do I throw more money at the old Mac Pro or not?

Did you even confirmed that your problem is hardware or software with a clean Mojave install?

I would get a new Mac, a Studio or a Mini Pro but I really hate not being able to upgrade anything on the new Macs.

Also, you are probably forgetting that you will have to move your Adobe products to subscriptions to run with Apple Silicon Macs.

The Mac Pro spoiled me, I guess. A local guy has a 6,1 for sale, the 8-core, D700 128GB RAM, 1TB SSD for 800 euro. And I’m seriously tempted. What is wisdom? Sigh…

Don't know the used market for Netherlands, but seems a little on the expensive side - check if you have any warranty, if the BR2032 RTC battery was already replaced and if you can return it if things do no go as expected.

You also have to think about accessories you gonna need, like cables and etc. This is often forgotten and some cables that work with MacPro6,1 are not exactly cheap and easily found as the cables for MacPro5,1. You can be certain that you gonna spend more than just the €800.

At least you can still run High Sierra and Mojave with MacPro6,1 to use the old Adobe non-subscription versions, which you can't with a brand new Mac.

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Hi, Alex. Yes, I tried to do a clean Mojave install and it failed. All went well initially and then near the end it just hung. Maybe because I tried to install it on one of my internal spinning drives? I erased that drive first, then rebooted the Mac in recovery mode and did the install. In the end the log said the internet connection was broken, which was not true. Unless something on Apple's side was faulty?

No, I am most definitely not forgetting that I will loose my Adobe apps when moving to a new Mac! How could I forget something so essential? My photography is the reason I need a desktop as I do everything else on my iPad. But I will not go to a subscription model and instead simply move away from Adobe altogether. It was inevitable anyway. I purchased Affinity last year and have been checking out raw converters.

As to the Mac Pro 6,1, the battery has not been replaced and the Mac comes with what the seller said are "expensive cables". I thought it was just a sales pitch, but apparently not. It is a private person though so no warranty of any kind and no option to return it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.