Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesdean888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
I hope someone can help....

i have recently joined the Mac fraternity and am having a proble with word and quark.... i imagine there is a perfectly simple answer.

I seem to be unable to copy text from word and paste it into Quark files.

When trying to Paste into a text box within a quark file i get the 'ping' sound as it fails to paste.

I am able to cut and paste text from word into other files but not Quark

Any ideas

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
What versions of Word, Quark & OS X are you using?

Can you paste into TextEdit documents?

Can you 'Get Text' OK into the text-box? Apple-E

jamesdean888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
sywtem details

Thanks for the reply

Its quark 6
imag G5
unsure of the word version
Mac os X 10.3

Yes i can paste into the text edit program
Yes i can 'get text' - but that transfers the whole doc into the text box, not selcted parts

???

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Weird.

You do have the content tool selected when you try to paste, don't you?
Just checking... :)

What about resaving the Word document as a plain text file and trying that?

BTW: I recommend installing the Quark 6.1 & 6.5 updater.

jamesdean888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Keep trying

The problems dont appear to be with the word file....

I will continue to rack my brains, but thanks for the ideas

jamesdean888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Thanks

Thank you to those who offered me advice...

You were right, quark 6 didnt seem to work properly with os x 10.3

once upgraded to quark 6.5 all is going swimmingly

cheers :)

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
James, Im not sure what the exact process you used in trying to "Import" text into Quark, but I have never had a problem by (first) creating a text box in Quark then (second) choosing cmnd+e (Get text) while the text box was selected, then format it as necessary.

For any further assistance in DTP I suggest http://www.prepressforums.com

good luck

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I also had this problem. I had to copy text from word, open a new Safari page and paste the text on the URL bar, select that and copy it before pasting it into Quark. I figured that I don't copy/paste into Quark that often so I'll just let it slide, but when you have to do a long, drawn out process for a relatively simple operation, you begin to notice how frequently you actually need to do it.

Luckily, 6.5 fixed this problem, amongst a sheeeeiiiitload of other problems. Like, who's idea was it to remove the double-click-image-pop-up-window thing? I use that all the time to update images or locate them in the finder. What a dumb move.

Fishes,
narco.

Philippejp78

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2006
well

ok, but what if, someone does not have 6.5 and needs to work on quark and word?

ive run into this problem before and i dont remember how i fixed it. but i did fix it ;[ and now im clueless and i cant seem to fix it while i need to work on something. anyone have any ideas or know-how ?

MikeBrooks806

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2006
For bigger cut and pastes

I'm having the same problem (also Quark 6 in OSX). To get around it, I've been saving the text that I want to paste into a separate Word doc, then in Quark, with my cursor placed where I want to paste, I use the "Get Text" function from the File menu, and click on the new Word file that contains only the text that I want to paste. A hassle, but if you don't do it a lot, and you don't want to deal with the Quark Nazis, it works just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.