Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zakn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
France
hello everyone,

So during the instalation of Macos High sierra, some problem occured and now i can’t start my MBP. I only have one oslution is to do a clean install but I need the instaler app and I only have a windows computer in my possession so how can i get the instaler app or the dmg file so i can set up a bootable usb ?

If it’s not possible to get a dmg of mac os high sierra now where can i get the dmg file for mac os sierra /?

Thank you all for your help

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
hello everyone,

So during the instalation of Macos High sierra, some problem occured and now i can’t start my MBP. I only have one oslution is to do a clean install but I need the instaler app and I only have a windows computer in my possession so how can i get the instaler app or the dmg file so i can set up a bootable usb ?

If it’s not possible to get a dmg of mac os high sierra now where can i get the dmg file for mac os sierra /?

What problem occured?

jun180

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
hello everyone,

Try power off the laptop, then power it back on and hold command and the R button simultaneously. This will boot back into the recovery mode, and you will have options to reinstall OSX or restore from time machine.

WalterNeff

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
“macOS could not be installed on your computer” - endless loop. So I’m screwed I guess.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Last resort is internet recovery: command + option + R immediately when hear the chime.

Drawback: hard drive / SSD is wiped, OS is downloaded and installed.

No bag entry... *if* you already tried this usually means no network => no OS found

Are you sure you are connected via ethernet ? I think WIFI also works in recovery mode, provided you entered the SSID + password.

WalterNeff

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
I’m connected via WiFi- not mission critical until the weekend and I am close to an Apple Store. May make a trip tomorrow.

scionfriar

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2005
hello everyone,

Same problem here on a 12" Macbook. Booted into recovery to reinstall OS X and am showed now available disk to install it on. It totally hosed the SSD.

WalterNeff

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Aha! I have advanced past “no bag entry” - but “This item is temporarily unavailable” - I will try again later. Thanks to all for your help.

PixelP

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
Hi everyone

My update process also failed. After the second reboot I received the following message (German). A reboot thereafter only showed me a folder with a question mark in it.
I was able to enter recovery mode and I’m now recovering back to Sierra from a backup.

4B6732FB-C0AD-4279-837E-95DD313FD729.jpeg

Edit: rMBP 2012, SSD: 512GB

Edit 2: Restore from backup completed, did the update again, now everything worked fine

Last edited:

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2006
Hi everyone

My update process also failed. After the second reboot I received the following message (German). A reboot thereafter only showed me a folder with a question mark in it.
I was able to enter recovery mode and I’m now recovering back to Sierra from a backup.

View attachment 721097

Edit: rMBP 2012, SSD: 512GB

Edit 2: Restore from backup completed, did the update again, now everything worked fine

This happened to me too on a 2016 mbptb. Hopefully I’ll be able to do the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.