Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IbrahimBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2023
Good day everyone, I hope you are all doing well. I am trying to install High Sierra on a MacBook Pro late 2011(a1278) using the High Sierra patcher from dosdude1. I follow the steps unto when you are supposed to click macOS Post install under utilities and choose your Mac model, volume and suggested patches. Proceeding from this point the Mac is supposed to restart and give you the step up options before arriving at the newly installed operating system. However, my Mac just restarts and goes right back to the start of the installation as shown in the attached image. I tried the installation process over and over but I just end up back at that spot in the image and the Mac is not showing me any errors. I even tried installing Sierra instead but it was the exact same issue. Please any help in resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

tempImage4Klf8O.jpg

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Are you attempting a clean install or an inplace upgrade? Does your MBP have a HDD (format HFS+) or an aftermarket upgraded SSD (format APFS) installed?

IbrahimBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2023
Are you attempting a clean install or an inplace upgrade? Does your MBP have a HDD (format HFS+) or an aftermarket upgraded SSD (format APFS) installed?
it is a clean install. It is an ssd I bought off amazon(here's the link if it helps https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-MX...qid=1699801400&sprefix=crucial,aps,364&sr=8-3). it is currently APFS. I recently formatted it to APFS from Mac OS extended to see if that would help the install but there was no difference.

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
it is a clean install. It is an ssd I bought off amazon(here's the link if it helps https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-MX500-CT500MX500SSD1-NAND-Internal/dp/B0786QNS9B/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1PBN6Q8I2XYWT&keywords=crucial+ssd&qid=1699801400&sprefix=crucial,aps,364&sr=8-3). it is currently APFS. I recently formatted it to APFS from Mac OS extended to see if that would help the install but there was no difference.

Have you tried holding down OPTION and then selecting the HDD? Also, are you removing the USB patcher when rebooting? Sounds like it keeps booting off the USB instead of the HDD.

IbrahimBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2023
Have you tried holding down OPTION and then selecting the HDD? Also, are you removing the USB patcher when rebooting? Sounds like it keeps booting off the USB instead of the HDD.
it turns out that the problem was the hard drive itself, once I used a different one the os installed fine. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Reactions: Jimmy-Chivas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.