Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savinorum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
hi!
i've been having some troubles as of today with one of my external HDs. it's a 1TB LG External HDD HXD7.
it was originally mounted on a Windows PC so it used NTFS. i've been running it with Tuxera NTFS with exceptional, really rare problems. most of the time it worked fine.
but today when i turned on my Mac it, i got an alert from Tuxera:
Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 4.30.10 PM.png

i've had a somewhat similar issue before but it eventually solved itself after a while or after rebooting, or unplugging then plugging again. i don't really understand what the Tuxera alert is telling me.
the USB cable has been working badly for a while, as it would often disconnect with minimum touch. i think it may have been accidentally disconnected by someone again and then when i turned on my Mac, with the drive connected, it failed to mount.
the weirdest part is this: it won't mount on Mac but it appears on Disk Utility (can't repair, though); it won't mount on Windows, but i'm able to remove it safely; it runs fine when i plug it to my LG TV, and files are all there.
i'm running Lion 10.7.5.

any comments would help. i've googled a lot and tried some solutions but nothing seems to be working. also, any tips con freeware for data recovery is welcome.

thanks!

savinorum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Can you try what the message asked?> booted from Windows, run chkdsk /f on that hard drive.

how can i do that? i haven't been using Windows in the past couple of years. i got this netbook from work but i don't use it much. it runs Windows 8 i think. i can't even seem to find the cmd.

EDIT: i managed to run chkdsk /f but it says that it can't be executed because some other process is already using the volume.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Sorry, no Windows help from me!
All I can say is that you go to the command line in Windows, and type that command. I think you have to specify the drive letter, but that's all that I know. It's where you go when you use Run commands, if that helps.
I'm sure you have a friend who knows how to do this, maybe that gamer who lives next door :D

savinorum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
still nothing. i run chkdsk /f on Windows and got that error message about another process using the volume. tried to use a data recovery program to get some files out of it but couldn't work my way around it.
i feel like it's something about the drive's software (maybe i'm all wrong) because it works fine on the TV. just iMacs and PCs don't recognize it.

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Try running chkdsk from an administrative command prompt by opening the start menu and typing cmd then right clicking on the cmd icon and clicking 'run as administrator', this will ask you if you want to open a command prompt window with administrative privileges (you will need access to an administrative account for this). In the command prompt window, type chkdsk <Drive Letter> /f with <Drive Letter> being replaced by the drive letter of your drive, for example if the drive letter is 'D:' then the command will be chkdsk D: /f. This is assuming the drive is mounted or even visible to the computer. If not then in the start menu type mmc and open with administrative privileges. Press Ctrl+M and select 'Disk Management' from the list on then left followed by clicking 'Add' -> 'This Computer' -> 'Finish' -> 'OK'. Open Disk Management and see if the external disk shows up then right click on the main partition of the external disk and mount it.

savinorum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Try running chkdsk from an administrative command prompt by opening the start menu and typing cmd then right clicking on the cmd icon and clicking 'run as administrator', this will ask you if you want to open a command prompt window with administrative privileges (you will need access to an administrative account for this). In the command prompt window, type chkdsk <Drive Letter> /f with <Drive Letter> being replaced by the drive letter of your drive, for example if the drive letter is 'D:' then the command will be chkdsk D: /f. This is assuming the drive is mounted or even visible to the computer. If not then in the start menu type mmc and open with administrative privileges. Press Ctrl+M and select 'Disk Management' from the list on then left followed by clicking 'Add' -> 'This Computer' -> 'Finish' -> 'OK'. Open Disk Management and see if the external disk shows up then right click on the main partition of the external disk and mount it.

i did this and run chkdsk. it apparently went fine, said something about recovered files, or about indexation (i don't know how to translate it well, it's in spanish which is my main language). then it said something about security check and USN something going ok.
i rebooted into Windows twice as the Tuxera alert said, but nothing changed. it still appears on Windows as D: but i can't access the files and it just crashes on Mac as before. i don't really know what to do next.
thanks for your help so far, both of you!

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
You may be able to repair the disk using disk repair tools available on a GParted live CD. You may have to do some google searching. Go to gparted.org to download a live ISO and see what you can get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.