Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garyed055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Canton Georgia
Hi all

I have a 2012 mac mini with 12gig of Ram and a puzzling problem under Catalina. There is a slight slow down from Mojave Which I expected but every now and then the system almost locks up. anything clicked on takes 3-5 minutes to load but runs fine when finally loaded. this lasts for 5 to ten minutes then suddenly all is ok, stuff loads quick and executes. Anyone else have this problem? I went back to Mojave and all is fine.

Gary

Reactions: K two

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Hi all

I have a 2012 mac mini with 12gig of Ram and a puzzling problem under Catalina. There is a slight slow down from Mojave Which I expected but every now and then the system almost locks up. anything clicked on takes 3-5 minutes to load but runs fine when finally loaded. this lasts for 5 to ten minutes then suddenly all is ok, stuff loads quick and executes. Anyone else have this problem? I went back to Mojave and all is fine.

Gary
Reset NVRAM :cool:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Do you still have the original hard drive?
Or, is the boot drive now an SSD?
Is your boot drive external? or internal?

When you get that extreme slow-down, open your Activity Monitor app, and sort the list of running processes, so that %CPU shows highest at the top of the list.
Then, look at the Memory tab - sort that, as well to show the highest memory at the top. Watch the bottom of that memory window for the memory pressure. Should usually show green, but you would be watching for either orange, or red (for high memory pressure)
And, you may see that some process in the system is taking a lot of CPU/Memory, and causing (or contributing) to slow performance.
If you don't really see anything dramatic, go to the View menu, and make sure that the app is showing "All Processes", and not just "My Processes"

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
If you are using a HDD as your boot drive, APFS which the Mojave and Catalina MacOS installer will automatically convert to from HFS (High Sierra and older for HDDs), runs horribly on HDDs and to a lessor amount, Fusion Drives.

If you were using the original HDD, that came with your Mac Mini, I’m sure that the age if it would just compound the issue with APFS.

Why, the issues started with Mojave, they seem to have gotten worse, a lot worse, with Catalina.

This is all assuming that you are using a HDD not an SSD.

If you are still using an HDD, I’d highly recommend using an SSD.

Reactions: edubfromktown

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
About 30-50 bucks for a SSD and you are good. Takes about 10-20 minutes to install.

Ps. I have 3 of those 2012 Minis, all with SSDs and 2 of them running Catalina. No slowdowns.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
No its a HHD

Gary
that is a huge hinderance, these modern OS are designed for ssd drives.

replacing the drive on the Mac mini '12 is moderate
were one just needs to:
remove cover, then 3 screws then 3 plate screws
carefully place antenna on the side still attached,
then plop up the drive connector ribbon, slide out the drive
exchange the be newer one
then reassemble.

fixit has a great guide just sent unattached the antenna chord, that is not simple to replace in.

Reactions: Chuckeee and ToniCH

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
are we using a ssd drive?

No its a HHD
That is most likely the reason.

As I mentioned, APFS and HDDs do not work well together, and this issue got worse with Catalina. One top of that, your HDD has probably aged a lot and might not be running the best even if you were still using HFS.

SSDs are cheap now, you can get a 500GB SATA SSD for around $30, and a USB3/SATA adapter cable or enclosure for around $10. Get both, run the SSD externally over USB3, install Catalina, migrate all your data from the HDD, then either stop there and continue to running the SSD externally, which would be a huge upgrade over your HDD, or if you feel up to it, you can install the SATA SSD internally, and you will have an even faster SSD and TRIM support.

Not necessarily recommending this SATA SSD, just showing how much they cost for a 500GB ($28):

I do recommend this adapter cable, there are cheaper ones, but I like that the cable is longer compared to others you can find. It costs $12:

So, spend $40, and your Mac Mini will give you a totally different experience, on Catalina, and older OS versions as well.

Reactions: ToniCH

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
western Digital also has a great selection of Blue ssd drives for a great price and long warrantee.
now, i have four of these (ssd and 2 MNVe blades) and a green in the MacBook Pro 2012.

Garyed055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Canton Georgia
Hi all

Gary
Thank you everyone! I didn't know about the HHD VS SSD thing. I'm on a fixed income but I will try to switch to a SSD soon as I can. May take a while though.

thanks again

Gary

Reactions: ToniCH

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Catalina has been fine on my 16gb 2012 i7 quad Mini with original Apple 256gb SSD since 2020. I agree, problem is most likely the slow 500gb hard drive (assuming the base model 2.5ghz dual i5 mini). I had one of these, upgraded RAM to 16gb, set it to boot from an external SSD and gave it to my daughter's family. After awhile, even though the internal hard drive wasn't used for anything, it started throwing lots of errors and causing the system to crash. I think the disk was dying and causing problems - which might be the same thing you're seeing.

I appreciate your limited budget (I'm also retired on a fixed income) but if you have important files on an unreliable computer, that could be a disaster waiting to happen! Only thing I find puzzling is why it would work fine on Mojave but not Catalina.

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I'm on a fixed income but I will try to switch to a SSD soon as I can. May take a while though.
Ideally, you would get the SSD size that covers all your storage needs, but this could be expensive.

If you wanted an improvement now, but can't cover the 500GB (or whatever size your HDD currently is), you can get a smaller SATA SSD, such as a 256GB which I have seen as low as $13, and a cheap enclosure or adapter cable for about $10.

Run the smaller SSD externally, keeping the OS and your apps on the SSD, and any files, photos, documents, etc. on the internal HDD. This would be a be improvement, but for less than $25.

After awhile, even though the internal hard drive wasn't used for anything, it started throwing lots of errors and causing the system to crash.
I have a lot of Macs, many of which are from the 2011-2013 years with HDDs or Fusion Drives, and I have also see failing HDDs cause really weird issues.

One of the issues somewhat recently was with Late 2013 iMacs, I have two of them with identical maxed out BTO specs, with the exception that one had a Fusion Drive and the other with just a HDD. My daughter used both of them, one at my house, and the other at her mothers'.

SSDs externally on both as boot drives, as the HDDs in both iMacs had totally failed, and you wouldn't even know the HDDs were there, with the exception of that sometimes when booting, there would be the "Initialize Disk" message that would pop up on the screen. If I would click on the "Initialize" and go into Disk First Aid, the HDDs wouldn't show up.

The only other issue is that it seemed like the "Chime" would take longer than it should when first starting, and the boot times were slower than expected with a SSD.

Other than that, both iMacs ran flawlessly on High Sierra and Mojave.

Earlier this year, I upgraded them both to Catalina, and the one with the Fusion Drive (again, failed HDD) ran flawlessly with Catalina. The one with just the failed HDD ran great for about 20 minutes, then would have a Kernel Panic, automatically restart, just to have the process repeat over and over again. Boot back into Mojave, no issues as all, it was just Catalina.

After a lot of troubleshooting, I decided to just swap the internal HDD for the external SATA SSD that I was using for it, and the Kernal Panic went away.

Not only did the Kernel Panic went away, but the chime behaved like normal, and the boot times dramatically improved. Once booted, there really wasn't a noticeable difference from using the SSD externally. Just ran well.

The point is, failing internal HDDs, even when not being used, can sometimes lead to unpredictable behavior. This wasn't the only example of have, I have many, but this was the most recent, and is on topic of the thread of upgrading to Catalina.

Reactions: Boyd01

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Hi all

Gary
Like others have said, no one should be using an HDD as a boot drive. Install an SSD and makes sure it and all other drives remain less than 80% full by offloading data to external drives as needed. Do this ASAP because your aging HDD also may be about to fail.

Mass storage is cheap as others have noted. Recovering from a crash may not be so cheap. If your HDD is filled more than 80% it may be a serious issue and you should offload some data immediately.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Here's an easy and cheap way to considerably boost your speeds:

Get a 2.5" SATA SSD.
Almost any one will do -- don't spend more $$$ than you need to.

I recommend at least 512gb.
1tb if you can afford it. (this really depends on how much space you have used on the internal HDD now -- you want "extra space" so that the OS has "room to breathe").

You can get 512gb SSDs for around $30:

Then, get an enclosure like this:

The drive just snaps into the enclosure.

Connect it to the Mac.
Open disk utility.
Erase it to APFS, GUID partition format.

Quick n easy way to get it running:
(Important: the SSD has to be "big enough" to hold the contents of your HDD.)

Download SuperDuper from here (click the link to download):

SuperDuper is FREE to use for what we're going to do.
It's also VERY easy to understand and use (if you've never done this before).

Use SD to "clone" the contents of the internal HDD to the new SSD.
It will take a while to copy everything over.

When done, go to to startup disk preference pane.
Click the lock and enter your password.
Now, click on the external SSD to make it the new boot drive.

Then, reboot.
The Mini should start up from the SSD.
And it will be MUCH faster.

I predict that if you do this, you will be very pleased with the results.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Garyed055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Canton Georgia
OP:

Here's an easy and cheap way to considerably boost your speeds:

Get a 2.5" SATA SSD.
Almost any one will do -- don't spend more $$$ than you need to.

I recommend at least 512gb.
1tb if you can afford it. (this really depends on how much space you have used on the internal HDD now -- you want "extra space" so that the OS has "room to breathe").

You can get 512gb SSDs for around $30:

Then, get an enclosure like this:

The drive just snaps into the enclosure.

Connect it to the Mac.
Open disk utility.
Erase it to APFS, GUID partition format.

Quick n easy way to get it running:
(Important: the SSD has to be "big enough" to hold the contents of your HDD.)

Download SuperDuper from here (click the link to download):

SuperDuper is FREE to use for what we're going to do.
It's also VERY easy to understand and use (if you've never done this before).

Use SD to "clone" the contents of the internal HDD to the new SSD.
It will take a while to copy everything over.

When done, go to to startup disk preference pane.
Click the lock and enter your password.
Now, click on the external SSD to make it the new boot drive.

Then, reboot.
The Mini should start up from the SSD.
And it will be MUCH faster.

I predict that if you do this, you will be very pleased with the results.
Good luck!
i can afford a 256gig ssd to replace the HDD. which one will work? i have an external case and cable for the HDD to be external

Gary

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just about any 2.5" SATA SSD will do. I like Crucial and Sandisk.

How much space is currently used on the internal drive?
This is an important question, because it will determine how you set up the SSD.

What kind of external case do you have now?
Is it USB3?
It MUST be USB3 -- anything else won't be fast enough to make a real difference.
(thunderbolt would -- if the external enclosure is tbolt)

Garyed055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Canton Georgia
Just about any 2.5" SATA SSD will do. I like Crucial and Sandisk.

How much space is currently used on the internal drive?
This is an important question, because it will determine how you set up the SSD.

What kind of external case do you have now?
Is it USB3?
It MUST be USB3 -- anything else won't be fast enough to make a real difference.
(thunderbolt would -- if the external enclosure is tbolt)
Hi

Its a USB3 No problem

Gary

Garyed055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Canton Georgia
Hi all

Gary
Thanks again everyone I just ordered the SSD drive. Soon as it arrives I'll be back to Catalina

Gary

Garyed055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Canton Georgia
Hi all

Gary
SSD arrived and after a short struggle installed internally. the only hard part was reconnecting the cable for the WIFI antenna. 61 year old eyes not as sharp anymore. Catalina installed and working fine. Small bonus the SSD wasn't empty. Mac OS install files for High Sierra, Catalina, Monterey, and Big Sur were on the SSD.

Gary

Reactions: fricotin and ToniCH
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.