Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philly

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2007
UK
Probably the wrong forum to post in but I couldn't see a better option.

I've had this issue multiple times before and somehow got round it, but it's happening again so I thought I would ask in here and at least have a record I can check back to in the future.

I have an android phone. My mac mail stoped syncing last week so I've deleted the account and tried to add it back again. I'm using the stock email app on the phone (it's a Sony).

I have generated the password from my Apple id account and added it with the hyphens, but it keeps giving me the error message "could not open connection to server". I checked the history of generated passwords and even revoked them all to start a fresh.

Like I said, I've encountered this problem many times before and somehow made it work, probably just by repeating the process over and over again, but does anyone know the actual problem here and how to solve it?

Thanks!

Philly

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2007
UK
This might help

Thanks. Checking through that link it seemed that the information for the incoming mail server was incorrect. The server name on my app was set to mail.mac.com

For the benefit of anyone else reading this thread with the same issue, I changed it to imap.mail.me.com (as below) which then allowed the setup process to continue successfully.

IMAP information for the incoming mail server​

• Server name: imap.mail.me.com
  • SSL Required: Yes
    If you see an error message when using SSL, try using TLS instead.
  • Port: 993
  • Username: This is usually the name part of your iCloud email address (for example, emilyparker, not emilyparker@icloud.com). If your email client can't connect to iCloud using just the name part of your iCloud email address, try using the full address.
  • Password: Generate an app-specific password.

SMTP information for the outgoing mail server​

• Server name: smtp.mail.me.com
  • SSL Required: Yes
    If you see an error message when using SSL, try using TLS or STARTTLS instead.
  • Port: 587
  • SMTP Authentication Required: Yes
  • Username: Your full iCloud email address (for example, emilyparker@icloud.com, not emilyparker)
  • Password: Use the app-specific password that you generated when you set up the incoming mail server.

Reactions: ian87w
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.