Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pctechtv

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
Hi, I tried following the instructions on this page to upgrade my Mac Pro (2013) to Sonoma. I got as far as installing the OS, and then I was met with the following screens shown (pics). When I try to reboot or install the old OS, I cannot get the Mac to stop rebooting and start over. Does anyone know what is going on or what I should do? Thanks

Attachments

• Screen1.jpg
    Screen1.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Screen2.jpg
    Screen2.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 40

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
I absolutely refuse to install any OS via the internet. With that amount of data transfer there is too much that can go wrong.

Ideally at this point I would at the very least boot from a secondary drive then work from there to solve the issue.

Been a very long time since I had to do a system install from scratch, so probably best to wait for someone a bit more up to date to chime in.

pctechtv

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
I absolutely refuse to install any OS via the internet.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I get it... and agree. The only thing is that sometimes it is a way for the sake of time.

I got it to work. I am primarily a PC user and hardly ever work on a Mac. However, I am also a developer and trying to keep up with some colleagues that work in X Code.

This is the second time I had this problem on Macs. The incorrect format of the container partition caused this. I want someone to guide me to learn more about this. That is just what I am calling it. Here is the just. I have dealt with this two main times, one fixing a friend's computer and two here and now not being able to follow the instructions from OpenCore Legacy Patcher. There was a quirk where the basic formatting of the partition (APFS) did not allow things to work or go all the way through. The last time I followed a YouTube video, it must have done what I figured out today. I did not see all the options when formatting a disk. I tried to help another friend recently, and he wound up going to the Mac store, and they mentioned the container. I remembered that word being key. So today I delved further. It came back to me after touching the View menu and Show All Devices. There was a container listed. I am glad. From there, I said to go with what I knew, Mac Journaled. Knowing if not the correct format, Apple would do what it needed to their own disk (that's a Windows trick);).

Now I have a working copy of OSX Sonoma on my 2013 Trash Can Mac Pro and I can run and test with X Code. :)

Can someone give some reading or web pages to learn more about these concepts and formating?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Screen3.jpg
    Screen3.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.