Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewfizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2005
I bought an ibook g4 off ebay and when i turn it on it goes straight to a School district LOGIN. with the options sleep restart turn off or login.

i bought the mac os 9 and the new tiger os.

i put the cd in and hold down the C button and it still goes to the login.

plz help.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Likely they installed a firmware password.

OS 9 should work under classic, but it will never boot under OS 9 -- only SDR machines boot OS 9, unless it's a PowerMac without FW800.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
andrewfizzle said:
i tryed that the dude was from ebay. Hes not answering my emails.
begs the question was it stolen! wait a bit longer and if no response grab his details from ebay and call him

andrewfizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2005
you still need the pw

you still need the pw to reset it. thats the problem... i cant start up with the C , S or apple s keys . am i completly screwed?

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
andrewfizzle said:
I bought an ibook g4 off ebay and when i turn it on it goes straight to a School district LOGIN. with the options sleep restart turn off or login.

i bought the mac os 9 and the new tiger os.

i put the cd in and hold down the C button and it still goes to the login.

plz help.
Does the iBook have a DVD drive?

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
andrewfizzle said:
you still need the pw to reset it. thats the problem... i cant start up with the C , S or apple s keys . am i completly screwed?

well it says if you can get inside the computer itself you can reset it. So i guess there is some sort of button inside of the iBook (i assume)

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
eva01 said:
well it says if you can get inside the computer itself you can reset it. So i guess there is some sort of button inside of the iBook (i assume)
like a batt backup reset button? just the same as bios password i'm thinking and they are a problem to get by without calling the manufacturer with the details - then they give you a code to unlock

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
andrewfizzle said:
so crack it open ? lol?
It's not a OS 9 capable machine, which is usually an easy route around most problems.

Can't remember how to get around it otherwise.

Would be one of the first things a business/school should set -- to help make the data harder to get at.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
andrewfizzle said:
so i should unscrew the pc and look for a button?
Nope, not something to take apart unless you know what you are doing.

Wait awhile, somebody may have an idea how to disable the firmware password or get in the machine otherwise.

andrewfizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2005
reset firmware

How can i reset my firmware password. I cannot boot from cd with the C key.

it goes straight to a company login.

anyway to reset from removing the ram or any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.