Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alberto_Alpino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2023
Hello!

I am a Spanish iPhone user. I've had the iPhone 15 Pro Max for a couple of weeks and when I upload photos taken from the phone to Instagram, it automatically raises the brightness to the point of saturating and burning the image.

I have IOS 17.1.1 and the latest updated version of Instagram. I have reinstalled the app many times and it still happens. I also did a reset of the phone by connecting it to the Mac and without transferring the backup data the problem persists.

I've been trying all possible settings, even in different formats. Passes in JPG, HEIF and RAW. And of course I don't apply any Instagram filters to the photo.

It's strange because when I upload those same photos from iCloud gallery on my old iPhone X I don't have any problems.

I leave you a couple of screenshots to illustrate the problem. The brightest photo is the one uploaded from the iPhone 15 Pro Max and the other with the iPhone X.

I would appreciate if someone could help me.

Thank you very much in advance. ;)

xeKj1Ar.jpeg

SFN6br4.jpeg

Reactions: llmerritt1

hungrychad

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2023
Same. Images look horrible when imported to IG- looks like brightness and contrast is maxed out. Found a current workaround- batch export the photos in Lightroom as new JPG files. Such a hassle but we have no choice as of the moment.

PaolaG

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2023
Hi all, It's Paola from Italy, I have the same issue. Hope it gets resolved soon.

baggiebloke

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2023
IMG_9258.jpeg
I have same problem. I have logged with Instagram app. The brightest of the two images was after Instagram load with no filters or edits in Instagram. I have found the same workaround of loading to and exporting from Lightroom back to my phone. When I then upload that photo to IG, it retains the fidelity of the original photo.

Last edited:

hungrychad

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2023
There's a reddit thread about that. Apparently the solution is to log out from Instagram, remove the profile from the iPhone, delete the app, reinstall, re-login, and then it works.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Instagram/comments/17gl9ln
THANK YOU. Your instructions fixed it for me. At first it gets fixed but the autoedits come back after closing and opening the app again. Removing your profile was crucial and now it’s permanently fixed.

Reactions: ManuCH

hungrychad

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2023
THANK YOU. Your instructions fixed it for me. At first it gets fixed but the autoedits come back after closing and opening the app again. Removing your profile was crucial and now it’s permanently fixed.
I take it back. After opening IG after some time, IG gave a notice on using iOS 17.1.1 and gives us option to let the app track us or not. After choosing any option, we’re now back to square one and photos are again automatically edited that they looked burned -_-

mfc

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2023
I’m having the same issue. Just took a week long trip to Spain (from US) and all of my photos look terrible when posted.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Sorry to "necro" this thread somewhat but definitely still seeing this issue on iOS 17.2 and iPhone 15 Pro. Currently on a trip to Disney World in Florida and portraits are looking horrific when posted from this device to my account. I tried Air Dropping a portrait of my wife to her (she has a regular iPhone 15) and she posted it without obvious issue to her own account. Seems to be a Pro problem, still. :-/

RoseSupernova

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2024
Someone find out how to solve this problem?
Someone find out how to solve this problem?
whilst I don't have a real fix - is everyone aware that if you screenshot your photo it will load to Instagram fine?

I wondered if it was the quality being too high so I tried a screenshot and it works every time without fail. Not that we should have to downgrade our images with a screenshot but - until a real fix comes this does work without fail!

JannsEn

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2024
whilst I don't have a real fix - is everyone aware that if you screenshot your photo it will load to Instagram fine?

I wondered if it was the quality being too high so I tried a screenshot and it works every time without fail. Not that we should have to downgrade our images with a screenshot but - until a real fix comes this does work without fail!
Today’s Update Instagram Version 313.0.0 seems to have fixed it for me!

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Today’s Update Instagram Version 313.0.0 seems to have fixed it for me!

Yeah same. It does seem to be fixed insofar as this blown-out exposure/brightness issue.

The App Store claims the version is 313.0.0 but the actual version seems to be 313.0.2 (per Settings -> General -> iPhone Storage -> Instagram -> version number will be at the top)

The only remaining anomaly I've noticed, and it may be totally unrelated, is that for Portrait photos in particular the image shown on Instagram (even before uploading it) seems to have a softer focus and less sharp details.

Calleb

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2023

Yep. But, in my personal view, seems bizarre that we, the users, need to create alternative ways (in Brazil this is called "gambiarra") to post a photo on Instagram (i.e. an app for share photos), while the problem persists since, I assume, October 2023.

Meta screwed up. I miss 2013's Instagram.

llmerritt1

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2024
As of May 5 2024, this problem is STILL an issue for me as well. Extremely frustrating. Any updates at all from Meta/Instagram. Any easy solutions at this time either with iPhone 15 Pro or IG version update? Many thanks, all!! (PS- happy Cinco de Mayo!)

UPDATE - I just removed the IG App and reinstalled on my iPhone ver 17.4.1. The newest IG version shows 329.06, and the problem is NOT RESOLVED. Examples attached: 1) getting ready to adjust brightness, 2) adj to right to brighten is a big NOGO, but heck even w/ going dark, 3) I only dropped to 5 and it's just about pitch black already!

Attachments

• IMG_4103_2.PNG
    IMG_4103_2.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4102_1.PNG
    IMG_4102_1.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4104_3.PNG
    IMG_4104_3.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.