Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithj370

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I'm having a problem with my Airport blinking on and off when I'm connected to a wireless network.

I'll be online and everything will be fine, and then my Airport icon goes gray and I get disconnected. Then it will turn black again, and gray, and black, and gray.... It just blinks on and off for a minute or two, and then reconnects and everything is fine.

It's obnoxious when I'm trying to do something, or when I'm talking to someone on iChat, and I keep getting disconnected.

I haven't seen any pattern to it; it's just random.

At first I thought it might be my internet service or router, but my roommate has the same MacBook that I do, and we both use the same internet and wireless router, and he never has a problem. Plus, mine always disconnects when I go to Starbucks or some other place that provides wireless internet.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
I had a similar situation. Are you using a Linksys WRT54G router by chance with WPA2?

If so, what I found to fix the problem was to use the AES form of WPA2 instead of TKIP. you should find it under the page where you configure your encryption on the router. (I can't be of more help there as i run DD-WRT instead of the stock firmware)

pismobrat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2007
Neoserver - He said that he has an Airpot - not a linksys....

Just a thought for your airport.

1) have you tried to reset it back to Factory Default and reconfigure it?
- if not, reset the monster and check Apple's site for any updates
2) Apply the updates and reconfigure the Airport.
3) Set yur security to WPA2 - Personal (not enterprise) (AES or PSk sdoen't really matter for security, either is just as good)
4) After you've done these steps - try to duplicate the proble,
5) If problem resurfaces, turf the airport - the troubleshooting beyond that is going to deam it defective

6) no Harm in getting a Linksys router - I would opt for a 3Com or another Airport.

Or if you are really rich http://www.arubanetworks.com

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Neoserver - He said that he has an Airpot - not a linksys....

Just a thought for your airport.

1) have you tried to reset it back to Factory Default and reconfigure it?
- if not, reset the monster and check Apple's site for any updates
2) Apply the updates and reconfigure the Airport.
3) Set yur security to WPA2 - Personal (not enterprise) (AES or PSk sdoen't really matter for security, either is just as good)
4) After you've done these steps - try to duplicate the proble,
5) If problem resurfaces, turf the airport - the troubleshooting beyond that is going to deam it defective

6) no Harm in getting a Linksys router - I would opt for a 3Com or another Airport.

Or if you are really rich http://www.arubanetworks.com

My bad, i read that as Airport as in the Wireless card on his computer.

smithj370

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific.

By Airport, I meant the wireless card in my laptop. That's what keeps turning on and off. It has nothing to do with my router; as I said, my laptop drops the wireless connection repeatedly no matter where I am, whether I'm at home, work, out a cafe, in a library, anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.