Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bob P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2020
I recently decommissioned an old iPhone but when I signed out of my Apple ID on the old phone, all the emails in my Inboxes on my active Iphones disappeared. The emails in the other folders are still there, just the Inbox emails disappeared. My iPad wasn't effected. Any idea why and if the emails can be retrieved?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Assuming it's the same Apple ID and same iCloud and Mail configurations on all of your phones, it does indeed seem odd that it would behave that way. If you log into iCloud.com, do you see those inbox emails? Are all the phones on the same iOS version? Were they iCloud emails or from a third-party provider like GMail, Outlook or another?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
No I don’t see the emails when I sign in to iCloud.
If you see no email in iCloud.com it means you are not using iCloud for email. Whatever is happening is not related to having signed out of your Apple ID. (Besides, signing out of an iCloud account on one iPhone does not affect the other iPhones, iPads, and Macs signed into that same Apple ID.)

So, what are your email providers (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook.com..)?

It could be as simple as having "Filtered by: Unread" selected on those iPhones - if there's no unread mail, then you'll see nothing in that inbox.

It could also be a matter of whether those iPhones are actually signed in to those mail accounts.

Go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts. Is your email account listed there? If it is, tap on the account. You'll see a message to sign into the account if it is currently not signed in. If it is not listed, then you need to Add Account...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.