Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Djangojonas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
Hello, I installed mavericks on a old iMac (20 inch, late 2006, 4Gb ram) and I fixed the sound problem with the lion kext.
But the graphic acceleration doesn't work because no ATI X1600 64bit kext.
Where can I find these kext ? or any other solution ?
Thanks for your answers.
(sorry for my poor english, I'm French)

GP70

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2020
Hello, I've done the same installation on the same iMac machine two days ago and upgraded to 10.9.5 (by AppStore and then refix boot.efi...) but still in the same your situation: no audio and no video acceleration...

You mention to fix audio to use kext but I was not able to find more info (not trayed too much time in reality...): could you kindly explain a bit better what you did/download?

About Video I'm searching if fix for other mac types can work and let you know for sure!

Thanks in advance!

Djangojonas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
Oups !!! It was long time ago and I don't remember how I did that... I gave up because no solution for graphic problem and now I use Lion on this computer.
For the sound problem, I copied the sound kext from Lion OS. This kext works on Mavericks. If I find how I did that, I'll write that here !

GP70

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2020
Thanks for the fast reply! I have Mountain Lion installation disk but not Lion... then I need to find which kext need to be upgraded... If you find how you did it is more then welcome!!!

Anyway, if it can interest I found the following:

Hey everyone, I just seen this on the OS X Hackers website. Do you know if "NexPostFacto" is available to download ? I can't find on Google. It seems to work with old ATI card, just like the x1600. Thank you !

Maybe it will help to solve the video acceleration issue!!!

GP70

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2020
Hello Djangojonas,

I found the following:

and downloaded the patcher which seems to contain ATI1600 Kext...

Unfortunately I was not succesfull and get error from the patcher script: I think I've not understood how it need to be used (I'm very new to osx...). Maybe following also instruction in https://www.rmc-team.ch/osx-patcher

Any idea?

Djangojonas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
Hello GP70, thanks for answer.
On Github website, they write : "Your Mac won't support graphics acceleration with this patcher. This means brightness control and sleep won't work (see above) and applications that rely on your graphics card will perform slower or will simply not work. parrotgeek1 will soon release a patcher with support for graphics acceleration on certain Macs."
So, it can't solve my problem ! My iMac works already like that : slowly graphics and some application don't work because no graphics acceleration.
They also write : "parrotgeek1 will soon release a patcher with support for graphics acceleration on certain Macs." maybe that will be the solution !

GP70

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2020
Hello Django,

Just to inform you I've installed Mavericks and El capitan (on 2 different external USB HDD & SSD) on my iMac5,1 using os x patcher and they are simply working perfectly!!

Audio is ok since the beginning and graphics seems to work correctly (El capitan is quite slow in any case on this machine...) If you can indicate a sw which is not working due the graphics acceleration I can try it for you!

Let me know if u need further info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.