Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bongolo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2006
Hi all

I have recently purchased a MacBook (My first MAC) and installed Boot Camp and XP Pro and all was working fine.

I then read about Boot Camp 1.1 with XP support for iSight, right click + delete and decided to upgrade. After downloading and installing Boot Camp 1.1, when I try to run it, I get a message saying: " The application Boot Camp quit unexpectedly" :confused:

I tried rebooting reinstalling etc... but still, Boot Camp Assistant refuses to open. :(

If anyone could suggest how to solve this problem, it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

/Bongolo

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Okay, we're going to have to start by running down the questions that aren't meant to be patronizing. ;) So sorry in advance. Explain how you installed it. Sometimes the Mac process for installing apps is a little weird.

Bongolo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2006
Hi mkrishnan,

And thanks for taking a look.

Installation was similar to the original installation of Boot Camp.

The only difference was at the end where it said “update” instead of “install”. A message popped up to say that the update was successful. :confused:

I hope this can be solved as I would really like to take advantage of the new features.

Many thanks again.

/Bongolo

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
have you repaired permissions.

Go into utlities, disk utility, click on HD, click repair permissions. Reboot and try again?

Bongolo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2006
Hi MacRumorUser,

And many thanks for your suggestion. I have just tried but unfortunately it didn't resolve the problem. :(

/Bongolo

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
As cartman would say 'goddamnit' :)

This is a longshot but often works for programs after an update :)

Is there a plist for bootcamp (a preference)

Use spotlight to search for bootcamp

view all results and in the docs catagory there maybe a file called

apple.bootcamp.plist or some such. Basically lookfor bootcamp and the .plist

If it appears drag it to the trash and empty. Next time you start bootcamp it will recreate a new preference and hopefully solve the problem.

Other than that i'm out of ideas i'm afraid.

Bongolo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2006
Hi again MacRumorUser,

Sorry it took so long to reply.

I did try your solution but still no success.

I have now returned the MacBook, I loved it very much but the damn thing decided to switch itself off when it felt like it for no reason what so ever and it happened more and more often so I decided to take it back and upgraded to a MBP.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

/Bongolo

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
In case someone else finds this thread the easiest way to solve the OP problem would have been:

1. Right-click on Boot Camp Assistant in /Applications/Utilities and select Show Package Contents and then navigated to Contents/Resources/DiskImage.dmg
2. Mount DiskImage.dmg and copy the 'Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe' to the Desktop/Flash Drive/CD-R/etc.
3. Run the .exe in Windows.

jstrahan

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2006
Florida
treblah said:
In case someone else finds this thread the easiest way to solve the OP problem would have been:

1. Right-click on Boot Camp Assistant in /Applications/Utilities and select Show Package Contents and then navigated to Contents/Resources/DiskImage.dmg
2. Mount DiskImage.dmg and copy the 'Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe' to the Desktop/Flash Drive/CD-R/etc.
3. Run the .exe in Windows.

Jut to let you know that I had the same problem and the first two fixes above didn't work, but treblah's did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.