Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Hi, I just got a MPB SR, 2.4 Ghz, 2 GB, 160 GB HD. I am playing CIV4 on it and it crashes all the time. I installed the latest patch and it seems like it crashes every 10 minutes or so. This is the only program that does this.

Any ideas?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Did you try searching? Aspyr hasn't updated the game for compatibility for the new Nvidia graphics in the Macbook Pro.

You're going to have to wait for them to send out a patch.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
If I set the graphics level to low it works, but if I set it to medium or high it crashes left and right. geez.

uraniumwilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2007
Hi, I just got a MPB SR, 2.4 Ghz, 2 GB, 160 GB HD. I am playing CIV4 on it and it crashes all the time. I installed the latest patch and it seems like it crashes every 10 minutes or so. This is the only program that does this.

I bought my own copy of CIV4 yesterday, for my MPB 2.4 that had arrived the day before.

Crashes in about 5 minutes, every time. I expect Apple will allow me to return it.

geoffy

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
Does anyone know if this works well on a Macbook (non-pro)? I'm really into the older versions of civ.

uraniumwilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2007
FYI, after initially refusing to allow me to return Civ IV, the Apple store in Emeryville, Ca., taking about 30 minutes of discussion with employees and the manager, finally took it back for full refund.

Glad of that, I was beginning to fume.

Bakerman

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2005
Sweden
Hi!
Today my new 2.8 GHz 24" iMac showed up, and one of the first things I did was install Civilization IV on it. It runs great, but there is a weird graphics bug which makes the trees (yes, the trees!) tip over and sort of fly to the edge of the screen, turning into blurred green lines. Can anyone with a Ati 2600 HD check out this game to see if they too experience this problem?

And yes, I've tried various resolutions, graphics detail levels, texture levels and running the game in windowed mode; the result seems to be the same every time.

sndcj1

macrumors member
May 22, 2007
Chicago
resolution...

I just got a 24" iMac, and was wondering, does civ 4 run at native resolution on the screen? I tried the demo, but that just goes to 1024x768 automatically. Thanks

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Civ IV and CIV IV Warlords plays alright on my 2.2GHz MacBook Pro- in terms of no crashing. But game play does seem to be rather sluggish (more so than on my old 2GHz MacBook Pro). :eek:

I just got a 24" iMac, and was wondering, does civ 4 run at native resolution on the screen? I tried the demo, but that just goes to 1024x768 automatically. Thanks

Yes, you can change the resolution when you purchase the full version of the game. :)

grossimassi

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Same here... brand new MBP 15" and it crashes once launched.
Only menu works, when u try to start tutorial or single player game it crashes and the only thing u can do its to press the magic button to restart the system.
Pretty lame....

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
I am almost certain that Apple's shoddy drivers for the 8600m are responsible for the poor performance and instability with games on the new MBPs. As soon as I received my new MBP, I noticed that several games (Civ IV, CoD2, etc.) were much slower and had instability problems. The patch Apple released for the MBP a few weeks ago somewhat helped, but playing these games still ultimately sucks on the new MBPs.

It's truly odd how Apple had no problems writing the drivers for the ATI x1600 that was in my original Rev A MBP.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
I'm playing it at everything High except anti-alising

works awesome

i'm on a new 24 incher with 2.8ghz and 2 gig ram

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
I'm playing it at everything High except anti-alising

works awesome

i'm on a new 24 incher with 2.8ghz and 2 gig ram

You're also using an iMac, which has an ATI graphics card. The problems seem to only affect MBPs using the new NVIDIA graphics cards.

grossimassi

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Really!
We need some nice driver for NVIDIA m8600 GT.
Such a nice video card and such a poor driver.
This is not Apple' style.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.