Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielmatiello

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2014
Guys,

I'm trying for the first time jailbreak my iPhone.

Well, I did this steps:

1 - Restored my iPhone through iTunes using "iPhone7,2_8.1_12B411_Restore" (because I updated my iOS through OTA)

2 - Jailbreak using Pangu8 v.1.2.1 without restore iCloud backup, just a clean instalation

3 - "Erase all content & Settings" to restore my iCloud Backup. (I've read in here this erase option don't affect the jailbreak0)

But, my Cydia is having some problems:

"Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (2: No suck file or directory)"
"Not locked"
"Could not open lock file /var/lib/dbkg/lock - open (2: No suck file or directory)"
"Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?"

Well, I think I ****ed my Jailbreak after this "Erase all content & Settings", right?

Sorry for my ignorance, but is my first jailbreak.

What I have to do now?

Thanks,
Matiello

Last edited:

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Erase all content and setting is a huge no no on a jailbroaken phone. Restore again, setup as new, than jailbreak and at the end restore from backup. I usually prefer, after jailbreak, to manually return all mu apps back, dough.

danielmatiello

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2014
Yeah, I've noticed.

Now I've done this steps:

1 - Restore through iTunes
2 - Restore iCloud Backup
3 - Jailbreak

Then, my Cydia is ok now.

Yeah, I'll never do Erase all contents and Settings before Jailbreak again.

Now, I'm trying to install the WhatsApp Beta. I'm trying to follow this steps:

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-install-whatsapp-beta-with-iphone-6-6-plus-support/

Thanks guys

EDIT: Yeah, I've noticed.

Now I've done this steps:

1 - Restore through iTunes
2 - Restore iCloud Backup
3 - Jailbreak

Then, my Cydia is ok now.

Yeah, I'll never do Erase all contents and Settings before Jailbreak again.

Now, I'm trying to install the WhatsApp Beta. I'm trying to follow this steps:

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-install-whatsapp-beta-with-iphone-6-6-plus-support/

Thanks guys

EDIT: Yeah, finally I've got install the WhatsApp Beta. =)

Last edited:

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Ugh, I did the steps backwards this evening after receiving my replacement iPhone 6. It came loaded with 8.1.2 but I hit erase all contents and settings and need to restore to a fresh version of 8.1.2 but when I try to restore it using iTunes and the IPSW file it says my device isn't eligible for the requested build.

Everything loaded in but I keep getting errors in Cydia about not being root.

What is my next step to restore and jailbreak again?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ugh, I did the steps backwards this evening after receiving my replacement iPhone 6. It came loaded with 8.1.2 but I hit erase all contents and settings and need to restore to a fresh version of 8.1.2 but when I try to restore it using iTunes and the IPSW file it says my device isn't eligible for the requested build.

Everything loaded in but I keep getting errors in Cydia about not being root.

What is my next step to restore and jailbreak again?

You cannot restore to anything but the latest iOS version. It's been like this for many years now.
Downloading the .ipsw and selecting it was only an option back on the iPhone 3G days.

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
You cannot restore to anything but the latest iOS version. It's been like this for many years now.
Downloading the .ipsw and selecting it was only an option back on the iPhone 3G days.

Is there anything I can do in Cydia or via SSH to fix my problem? Ugh, I'm punching myself right now. Stupid mistake. I'm still on 8.1.2 with Cydia but get the "root" error message since I went backwards.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Is there anything I can do in Cydia or via SSH to fix my problem? Ugh, I'm punching myself right now. Stupid mistake. I'm still on 8.1.2 with Cydia but get the "root" error message since I went backwards.

Nope.
Live and learn.
You probably won't do it again.
All you can do is restore and wait for the next jb.
But before you restore use the latest tinyumbrella to save your 8.1.2 shsh blobs in case we can use them to downgrade in the future.

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Nope.
Live and learn.
You probably won't do it again.
All you can do is restore and wait for the next jb.
But before you restore use the latest tinyumbrella to save your 8.1.2 shsh blobs in case we can use them to downgrade in the future.

Gotcha. I've been having a few issues with the replacement phone connecting to the cellular network since I got home. Maybe they'll swap it out and I can start fresh with the next replacement. I'll just make sure to restore iCloud backup and then jailbreak. Silly me.

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Picked up my 2nd replacement today and didn't see the Apple Watch app so I was a little excited. Went into settings and saw 8.1.3 and became a little sad.

Oh well! I guess it'll be a waiting game until the next jailbreak is unveiled.

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Lol :D
That sucks bro, but at least you tried.

Yeah, I've slapped myself a few times. Luckily I still have my jailbroken iPhone 5 to use for Tetherme while I'm out of town but I can handle a stock OS until the next break. I just hope it's soon! I'm keeping it on 8.1.3 until then just in case.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Yeah, I've slapped myself a few times. Luckily I still have my jailbroken iPhone 5 to use for Tetherme while I'm out of town but I can handle a stock OS until the next break. I just hope it's soon! I'm keeping it on 8.1.3 until then just in case.

I hear you, I'd be slapping myself in the face in front of the Apple rep after I saw 8.1.3 in the settings too:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.