Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
I have a Powerbook G4 running 10.2.8. Recently, the applications have been failing to quit or in the case of mail, failing to connect to the server. I have run Norton anti virus and that comes up ok. I just ran disk first aid. When I run it from the hard drive I can only verify and repair permissions., so I booted from the osx disk and ran it from there. When booting from the disk, first aid will only verify the volume, the repair is greyed out. Furthermore, the verification has detected some minor problems that need to be repaired.

Am I experiencing a problem with disk first aid, or is it unable to fix the problems?

I am at a loss! Help!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The boot drive is repaired on boot, except for permissions. You may not repair the boot drive while it is mounted.

It's supposed to work that way, it's not a problem.

jki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
bousozoku, thanks...how do I repair the problems? Booted from CD and repair is still greyed out.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Sorry, there are several problems that Disk Utility apparently can't corect.

You'll need to buy Tech Tool Pro 4 or DiskWarrior. You may also be able to find a version of Drive 10 with a free upgrade to Tech Tool Pro 4.

Also, if journaling is active, you'll have to disable it first, but I suspect that you haven't done that and it isn't done by default in Jaguar--only Panther.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: problem with disk first aid and osx 10.2.8

Originally posted by jki
I have a Powerbook G4 running 10.2.8. Recently, the applications have been failing to quit or in the case of mail, failing to connect to the server. I have run Norton anti virus and that comes up ok. I just ran disk first aid. When I run it from the hard drive I can only verify and repair permissions., so I booted from the osx disk and ran it from there. When booting from the disk, first aid will only verify the volume, the repair is greyed out. Furthermore, the verification has detected some minor problems that need to be repaired.

Am I experiencing a problem with disk first aid, or is it unable to fix the problems?

I am at a loss! Help!
What makes you think that you have a disk problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.