Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tändstickor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2015
Germany
Hello everybody,

since updating my iPad Air to the public beta of iOS 9 I've not been able to use the Economist app anymore. New magazines load normally but all that I can see are the pictures within the articles and a few lines of the respective article. Apart from those lines the rest of the screen remains blank . Both the app and iOS are updated to their latest versions.

Did any of you experience the same problem. If yes, were you able to solve it?

Your help is much appreciated.

IMG_0148.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 144

Zhaoman

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2015
Hello everybody,

since updating my iPad Air to the public beta of iOS 9 I've not been able to use the Economist app anymore. New magazines load normally but all that I can see are the pictures within the articles and a few lines of the respective article. Apart from those lines the rest of the screen remains blank . Both the app and iOS are updated to their latest versions.

Did any of you experience the same problem. If yes, were you able to solve it?

Your help is much appreciated.

View attachment 580440
Yes. I have experienced the exact same problem since participating in IOS 9 public beta. I contacted the Economist Online customer support, but they could not offer any help since the problems are with the IOS beta version and not the official release. I also submitted the issue through Apple's feedback function available through the IOS beta. Btw, there are no problems with Economist app for iPhone using IOS 9 PB 3 or IOS 9.1 PB 1. As an FYI, I am now using IOS 9.1 public beta 1, which seems noticeably faster than IOS 9 PB 3, but the Economist app for iPad still has the same bug. Seems strange that Economist has not updated their app only 5 days from the release of IOS 9.

tändstickor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2015
Germany
Yes. I have experienced the exact same problem since participating in IOS 9 public beta. I contacted the Economist Online customer support, but they could not offer any help since the problems are with the IOS beta version and not the official release. I also submitted the issue through Apple's feedback function available through the IOS beta. Btw, there are no problems with Economist app for iPhone using IOS 9 PB 3 or IOS 9.1 PB 1. As an FYI, I am now using IOS 9.1 public beta 1, which seems noticeably faster than IOS 9 PB 3, but the Economist app for iPad still has the same bug. Seems strange that Economist has not updated their app only 5 days from the release of IOS 9.

Hey Zhaoman,

thank you for your reply. You are right, it seems rather strange that the app is still broken especially since the GM of iOS 9 has been released in the meantime.

Let's hope the Economist team will fix the issue soon. It's pretty annoying to pay for the magazines without being able to read them. I've been listening to the audio section of the app for the last weeks which takes considerably longer and doesn't feel like the real deal...

barstep

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2015
York, UK
Hey Zhaoman,

thank you for your reply. You are right, it seems rather strange that the app is still broken especially since the GM of iOS 9 has been released in the meantime.

Let's hope the Economist team will fix the issue soon. It's pretty annoying to pay for the magazines without being able to read them. I've been listening to the audio section of the app for the last weeks which takes considerably longer and doesn't feel like the real deal...

I received a reply from The Economist which said:-

---------------------

Thank you for contacting The Economist.

We regret to inform you that we are not yet optimised for iOS 9.

We can confirm that newsstand is being phased out in iOS 9 and The Economist app will no longer sit within this app.

We are hoping for a release for this soon and advise you to look out for updates in the App Store.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused in this matter.

If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.
---------------/

It seems to work fine on the iPhone 6

Last edited:

Zhaoman

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2015
Hey Zhaoman,

thank you for your reply. You are right, it seems rather strange that the app is still broken especially since the GM of the iOS 9 has been released in the meantime.

Hi Tändstikor.

I also communicated to the Economist my "wish" to have the audio playback speed option incorporated into the iPad app version, to match the iPhone version. I communicated this request over 1 year ago and don't understand what reason is there not to include this feature. 1x audio playback speed is too slow to be enjoyable for me. I listen @ 2x speed on my iPhone.

Tchuss.

Zhaoman

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2015
I received a reply from The Economist which said:-

---------------------

Thank you for contacting The Economist.

We regret to inform you that we are not yet optimised for iOS 9.

We can confirm that newsstand is being phased out in iOS 9 and The Economist app will no longer sit within this app.

We are hoping for a release for this soon and advise you to look out for updates in the App Store.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused in this matter.

If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.
---------------/

It seems to work fine on the iPhone 6

Hi barstep.

Thanks for the update from the Economist. At least they are acknowledging the bug and hopefully we'll have an update coming soon.

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Just got a push message from The Economist saying

"Our iOS 9 app will be available soon. More details to follow."

Shame they didn't get it ready for launch...

markgpearse

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Just got a push message from The Economist saying

"Our iOS 9 app will be available soon. More details to follow."

Shame they didn't get it ready for launch...
The Economist is never ready. They are always behind. Very odd for such a quality magazine. Then you always have to reload your content. Very amateur on their part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.