Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oyku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2022
Hi I have problem with display Acer VP229 on macOS Monterey but was same on Big Sur.
Display keep restarting every around 30 minutes. By restarting I mean goes black screen then comes back and says Hdmi Connected.
I was searching everywhere and I found way to fix it but I'm not satisfied by that. I had to plug my headphones to monitor and for some reason aux cable helped from monitor to Mac. Well the thing is, the bass is worse and I'm not able to plug microphone. I think the reason might be that monitor automatically swaps audio input/output to HDMI, even if it's HDMI it's trying again and reconnecting. When I change from HDMI to something else inside monitor settings, after "restart" it changes to HDMI. I don't see an option to disable totally the speakers from monitor and I couldn't do that from settings. Couldn't also disable kext because says kext not found even tho I put the same name. I use Mac mini m1. Monitor plugged via HDMI and headphones jack. Thanks for help.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
HDMI connections on the Mac are a complete ****-show, if you ask me. I wish I had a solution for you, but I've seen other issues on different Macs and can't nail down a solution for any of them.

Oyku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2022
HDMI connections on the Mac are a complete ****-show, if you ask me. I wish I had a solution for you, but I've seen other issues on different Macs and can't nail down a solution for any of them.
Well there is only HDMI port, there's not display port.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
"I use Mac mini m1. Monitor plugged via HDMI and headphones jack."

You have ONLY an HDMI connection on the display, and nothing else?

Have you tried a USBc (Mini) to HDMI (display) cable/adapter?

Oyku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2022
OP:
"I use Mac mini m1. Monitor plugged via HDMI and headphones jack."

You have ONLY an HDMI connection on the display, and nothing else?

Have you tried a USBc (Mini) to HDMI (display) cable/adapter?
My monitor has got HDMI, VGA and Display port. Problem is Mac mini got only HDMI.

Edit: will it work if I buy HDMI to Displayport cable and plug HDMI to Mac mini and display to monitor?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you have displayport on the display, what you want is a:
USBc (Mini end) to displayport (display end).
Many are available.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Edit: will it work if I buy HDMI to Displayport cable and plug HDMI to Mac mini and display to monitor?
No. These cables only go from DisplayPort to HDMI, not the other way around!

And the Mac mini does have DisplayPort — any Thunderbolt port can act like a DisplayPort.

Oyku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2022
No. These cables only go from DisplayPort to HDMI, not the other way around!

And the Mac mini does have DisplayPort — any Thunderbolt port can act like a DisplayPort.
so must be usb c to DisplayPort? Also the other question is will this solve the problem because monitor in sound settings has option to play sound via DisplayPort, but with HDMI thing that suck is no settings at all, cannot even change a brightness from system. Maybe with DisplayPort I will be able to disable sound.

Oyku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2022
Hi so problem solved. I'm surprised I got my cable in Saturday but yeah. At first had problem it was saying that DisplayPort not found, however I've plugged HDMI and DisplayPort at once then changed input to dp and what happened, it worked like I had two monitors at once but after disconnecting HDMI it worked fine and after few hours monitor wasn't disconnecting so I'd say getting usb c to DisplayPort worked and HDMI suck. So thanks I'm marking this as resolved.

Reactions: vddobrev
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.