Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ejw22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
I recently upgraded my ibook to system 10 "Tiger" and have been having problems. It had been working well, but then last week started to crash and wouldn't boot; I was able to get it going again by starting up from the system disk a few days ago and ran disk utility, etc. but today it shut down again and the screen has gone completely dark. I can hear the startup noises but have no idea what is going on because the screen won't come up. Does anyone know any trick for getting it to wakeup the screen? Or have any other insight?

THanks

Ejw22

SheriffParker

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2006
The land of love
ejw22 said:
I recently upgraded my ibook to system 10 "Tiger" and have been having problems. It had been working well, but then last week started to crash and wouldn't boot; I was able to get it going again by starting up from the system disk a few days ago and ran disk utility, etc. but today it shut down again and the screen has gone completely dark. I can hear the startup noises but have no idea what is going on because the screen won't come up. Does anyone know any trick for getting it to wakeup the screen? Or have any other insight?

THanks

Ejw22

It may be just a coincidence that you recently installed ox 10.4. I have gone through two logic boards on my ibook, and my third one is running fine. Apparently apple had a lot of problems with iBook logic boards, as the other iBook in the house crapped out on us too. So apple has replaced three iBook logic boards for us in the past year.

Of course they did it for free because we had applecare, but those symptoms you are describing...

1. Crashes/shuts down for no reason.
2. Just get a blank screen and start up noises.
3. Sometimes when I would start mine up the fans would go on full blast while the screen stayed dark.

Anyway, just thought you might want to consider that your logic board crapped out on you. It's very possible.

ejw22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
No--I can't boot now from Mac OS X--thanks though!

I decided to stop getting apple care with this computer and so am not covered. Any idea what a new logic board might cost? I am not sure whether it would be worth it, as the i-book is almosr 3 years old. The bummer is that my new employer will give me a new laptop in August, but I'm an academic and can't be without a computer till then. I wish there were some way I could get it to hobble along for 2 more months,

Damn,

Thanks for your help

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
I agree it sounds like a logicboard... That's what mt iBook did everytime the logicboard went... Check to see if it's covered under the logicboard repair plan Apple had going- you might be covered...I think it's only for G3 iBooks, but I could be wrong... It's worth checking into...

ejw22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

I turns out it is covered (just barely!!!) on the recall. I had no idea about the recall!!! You guys are the best!!!

Ejw22:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.