Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Hi there...

Now that I've talked most of my friends into getting a Mac - and now iChat - we're finding it really easy to communicate.

Until recently, it's been dead easy to transfer files between each other, by just clicking and dragging the document onto the text box, and pushing <enter>.

From there, the files are sent to the recipient, where they are saved to a folder on their computer. I can SEND data OK - it's just the receiving of data that has been disallowed. The error I get goes something along the lines of:

"The downloads folder is Read-Only, or you do not have sufficient privileges to do this."

The problem has just occurred - I've just upgraded my Hard Drive to 120Gb, and did a straight data transfer between the old and new drives, so all my preferences had not been changed, so THAT couldn't be the reason. I have, however, upgraded to iChatAV - which may be the culprit.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have a solution?

I've already tried repairing my preferences (to no avail), and I can't find any of the documents that were downloaded to me previously - and doing a "Find" search of the drive has come up with nothing.

Is there ANY way of changing the DESTINATION of my downloads for iChat? I have a specific Downloads folder for internet downloads, but (as far as I can see) there is no way to change the destination for iChat...

Cheers, all.

Hope you can help...

:confused:

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Yeah, try repairing permissions. Or take a look at the downloads folder and see what the permissions and privelages are for that folder. The owner of the folder you download to should be you.

Way to go convincing your friends to switch though! :D

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
I've repaired preferences - no go

I reverted iChat back to 1.0.1 - no go

Now, I've gone back to iChat AV - no go

Safari's internet preferences show "Downloads" is allocated folder for d/l's, and isn't locked (I can still get files from the 'net without a hassle).

Sod it - I'm baffled...

:confused:

AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.