Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
Hey everyone,

I've had a problem recently playing some songs on my iMac. I have a pair of cheap Altec Lansing speakers attached, but regardless of whether or not they are plugged in, certain songs sound very strange. Mainly, the vocal line is almost INAUDIBLE. i've played with the mixer settings to no avail. Is this a hardware issue? Anyone else share this issue? Again, it only happens on certain songs.

thanks!

edit: the songs play fine on my ipod.

Sobering

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
If there cheap that's probably why, or if you played songs loud enough you could have popped a speaker making it sound really crappy.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
note: The vocals are inaudible whether the speakers are plugged in or not! i.e., the internal speakers exhibit the same issue.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
bump/edit: When I play these songs on my iPod and take out my right earbud, it sounds very similar to what it sounds like on the computer. Does that mean my "right sound output" is busted? Is there a way for me to really check/fix this?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Make sure you plugged it in all the way. Wiggle the wires for the speakers, see if the wire is damged somewhere.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
JAT said:
Make sure you plugged it in all the way. Wiggle the wires for the speakers, see if the wire is damged somewhere.

again, the problem exists even if my externals are unplugged.

any ideaS?

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
I am not a imac owner yet, but when you plug the external speakers, does it shuts down the internal?

On my PC I can turn the mic jack into output so that I can have 4 channels, Is there software that lets you use the internal speakers as the front channels and use the ext. as rear channels. (pseudo sorround sound)?

BTW how good are the internal speakers?

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
hdsalinas said:
I am not a imac owner yet, but when you plug the external speakers, does it shuts down the internal?

On my PC I can turn the mic jack into output so that I can have 4 channels, Is there software that lets you use the internal speakers as the front channels and use the ext. as rear channels. (pseudo sorround sound)?

BTW how good are the internal speakers?

the internal speakers are not very good, in my experience. but who knows, maybe i've had an iMac with lame speakers this whole time.

(300 posts, wooh! do i get a new title now?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.