Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunakujiro

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Hey guys!

I got a little problem. My sisters macbook (I believe from around 2006, the Model No is A1181) recently slowed down significantly, to the point where you just could not use it anymore. After some tinkering, I figured the cause of the problem to be a dying hard drive.

Since my little sister did not want the mac anymore and I also did not really need it, I thought I could just try some things, I would normally not. So I just took the hard drive from my very old and very broken notebook and put it in the mac.
It was not easy (I do not own the correct tools for the apple specific screws, but after some work I got it in).

Well, hardware-like it apparently works. If I start the mac, it will try to boot up Windows 7 (which is still installed on the hard drive) and then just shut down, since it obviously does not work that simply ;D

Now to my problem: I don't know how to install a new operating system. I do not really care if it's any OSX, Windows or even Linux, because if I just get anything running, I can always change. But right now, nothing is working.

I might add, that the internal cd/dvd drive seems to be not working at all but I got an external drive that I can use.
I have several Windows copies and OSX 10.6 on a dvd.

I already did some searching and apparently in most cases you will need a running OSX to configure Bootcamp or something similar.

Is there any way, to install ANYTHING cleanly from the point where I am? With windows, I would just boot from the dvd and go on from there. I could not manage to get that to work here (maybe the external drive is not recognised, IDK...)

Thanks a lot in advance for any help,

suna

sunakujiro

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Just for further references:

Luckily, my sister still had the original os dvd. I made an image of it, put it on my usb stick (via transmac) and was able to reinstall osx on the mac book with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.