Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wickedxrebel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2017
So I haven't been able to find anything but praises for the new version of the maps app. I personally can't stand it. Granted I do not take well to changing something to the point that I have to relearn how to use it. But to get to my question for someone who probably knows a lot more about this than I do....

How do you search two different places to find out the distance and travel time between the two? So far I can only find ways to search distance and travel time from My current location to the place I searched or dropped a pin at. In the old version you could list two locations and then it would tell you the travel information for them. There was even a handy button with s shaped arrows that would reverse the starting and ending location without having to re enter the data. Where did this go? This is a VERY important feature to me as I use it for work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
D

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So I haven't been able to find anything but praises for the new version of the maps app. I personally can't stand it. Granted I do not take well to changing something to the point that I have to relearn how to use it. But to get to my question for someone who probably knows a lot more about this than I do....

How do you search two different places to find out the distance and travel time between the two? So far I can only find ways to search distance and travel time from My current location to the place I searched or dropped a pin at. In the old version you could list two locations and then it would tell you the travel information for them. There was even a handy button with s shaped arrows that would reverse the starting and ending location without having to re enter the data. Where did this go? This is a VERY important feature to me as I use it for work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
D
It kind of sounds like what has recently been discussed at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-maps-directions-2-destinations.2037363/

Wickedxrebel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2017
It would appear similar and I appretiate the info, but this does not tell you how to access it through maps. It talks about searching from contact to contact. I know it says you can change the locations from there, but is there no way to just do this easily and directly from maps?
Thanks
D
[doublepost=1490225902][/doublepost]Well figured it out, they just made it buried under a few more commands instead of being one of the first choices. Again I do not like change. And again thanks
[doublepost=1490226449][/doublepost]I take that back.... it will tell me the distance between my current location and the pin I dropped (a gold mine in a remote location) but when I search from a nearby town to the location it says it can't find the end location even though it has zero problems finding it when giving directions from my location. In my opinion, they have ruined this app.... a never had a single problem with it before the update, but I guess When you live rurally then you don't really use any of the things everyone else griped about in the older version.
Guess I'll just try a third party app instead.

Regards
D

bholt6

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
It is a bit buried. Type in your destination and hit "directions". Before hitting "GO" you'll notice "my location" in blue text under the destination. Click on that and you can change your starting point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.