Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

REBELinBLUE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
London, UK
Can anyone read the text in this image on their iPad?

http://i.imgur.com/frLHu.jpg

It displays fine on my desktop but on my iPad the 4th panel until about 2/3rds of the way down (the panel that says "Did seeing this make you feel small?") are totally unreadable.

mklnk

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
Can anyone read the text in this image on their iPad?

http://i.imgur.com/frLHu.jpg

It displays fine on my desktop but on my iPad the 4th panel until about 2/3rds of the way down (the panel that says "Did seeing this make you feel small?") are totally unreadable.

The star and planet names are basically unreadable on my iPad. I'm able to make out a lot of them because I know, for example that Cygnus has a y and a g, and the nonsensical blur under one of the stars has two things hanging under the middle of it that moght belong to a y and a g.

Yeah, unreadable on my ipad.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Agree.

Looks like perhaps they scale to fit the iPad screen size (or width, or...). Point is, when the browser decodes the JPEG, looks like to scales to something that fits, rather than to full-size. Or perhaps the original is a multi-resolution image?

So, when you expand the image, it's just scaling-up the pixels.

Update: In Firefox on my desktop, the image initially renders as 130x829. When I click on it to blow it up, it is apparently re-decoded and rendered at the full resolution of 896x5704.

There's no "examine properties" on iPad, but it does display the resolution in the title bar of the browser. It says it's 448x2852. When you expand it, it expands smoothly, so I assume it is not being re-rendered.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
I take that back.
The image looks no better or worse on the iPad than on a desktop browser.

Unless of course you look at it using a 3G connection using O2 as your service provider.

C.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I take that back.
The image looks no better or worse on the iPad than on a desktop browser.

You need to qualify that with WHICH desktop browser, and whether or not you used the browser's "magnify" feature.

It definitely looks better on Firefox/Linux 3.5.9, once you magnify it. I can read every word, though some is fuzzy. On the iPad, there's no hope of reading the smaller planet names. They're just fuzzy blobs.

mklnk

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
You need to qualify that with WHICH desktop browser, and whether or not you used the browser's "magnify" feature.

It definitely looks better on Firefox/Linux 3.5.9, once you magnify it. I can read every word, though some is fuzzy. On the iPad, there's no hope of reading the smaller planet names. They're just fuzzy blobs.

I can read the text in this image on a PC. I can not read it, even while zoomed, on an ipad.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England

I just compared a screencap from the iPad Safari - with the source image loaded into Photoshop.

There *is* a difference. The Photoshop image is sharper.
I resized the source image to 4096 pixels vertically - and the two look identical.

In other words, the iPad is capping images to a maximum 4096 in any one dimension. This is probably a hardware limitation of the graphics chip.
That is not to say that software could not split the image over multiple texture pages. But for a browser, the 4096 pixel limitation is probably reasonable.

C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.