Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I sweat a lot, and occasionally shower with my AW. It has developed a problem. The 'tail' that fits in the slot and goes against my wrist gets stuck on the mating surface of the outer opposite half. Stuck so bad that I have to wiggle my finger in to break the seal! It's a pretty nasty issue at times, as it really gets stuck there. (It essentially sticks to itself)

Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening, or am I left with buying a new band. I like this band and, of course, it's been discontinued. Grrr...

Thanks all...

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
No, I wash it frequently (About every week or so. It's not stuck right now, but, like I said, sometimes it's really stuck. To itself. Most frustrating getting ready for bed, having to practically pry it off...
I guess with age and frequently exposing it to sweat it's possible the silicone is breaking down and starting to adhere to itself... The sport band I have is around a year old and it doesn't have that issue (yet)..

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I guess with age and frequently exposing it to sweat it's possible the silicone is breaking down and starting to adhere to itself... The sport band I have is around a year old and it doesn't have that issue (yet)..

It has sort of lost its 'sheen', but it seems like it should still be good. Oh well. It's the Nike black/volt band (?).

This guy, which must have been popular as there are pictures of it all over when I searched for 'nike watch band':

Nike band.jpg

I'll be sad to see it go in the bin...

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I sweat a lot, and occasionally shower with my AW. It has developed a problem. The 'tail' that fits in the slot and goes against my wrist gets stuck on the mating surface of the outer opposite half. Stuck so bad that I have to wiggle my finger in to break the seal! It's a pretty nasty issue at times, as it really gets stuck there. (It essentially sticks to itself)

Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening, or am I left with buying a new band. I like this band and, of course, it's been discontinued. Grrr...

Thanks all...
I only wear Nike sport bands, have like 7 or 8 that I rotate through, some are 3+ years old and none are exhibiting this. I do shower with my watch on every day to get the sweat cleaned of from exercising, besides that I don’t clean my bands and not a problem with any of them. I do soap the band while showering…

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I only wear Nike sport bands, have like 7 or 8 that I rotate through, some are 3+ years old and none are exhibiting this. I do shower with my watch on every day to get the sweat cleaned of from exercising, besides that I don’t clean my bands and not a problem with any of them. I do soap the band while showering…

I probably should soap the band when I shower. I have been just soaping over the whole thing, and taking it off to rinse. I was wondering if I should use some ISO on it?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I probably should soap the band when I shower. I have been just soaping over the whole thing, and taking it off to rinse. I was wondering if I should use some ISO on it?
I’ve actually used alcohol wipes on my platinum/black as there were some black marks where it rugs in, didn’t remove the stains but also didn’t do any harm.

In the shower I actually rub the soap bar on the sides and the bottom of my arm and then move the watch quickly back and forth to get soap through the holes in the band ( I have the watch a hole looser during shower) and then rinse everything off…
You might want to detach the band in question and give it a thorough soap cleaning job…

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Since I have been washing the band, it seems to be less sticky, but...

I just need to pony up the money, retire this band and get a new one to abuse. I like the yellow accents though. *pout* :D:cool:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Since I have been washing the band, it seems to be less sticky, but...

I just need to pony up the money, retire this band and get a new one to abuse. I like the yellow accents though. *pout* :D:cool:
we should see new bands within the next month, spring event maybe or??? and I certainly hope for a yellow based Nike band, will most likely be an instant buy :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.