Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G.O.B

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Hi everyone,

Loving my iPad so far, I just have one minor issue. I've done a search on the iPad forum and nobody seems to have had this specific problem - basically, the Places feature on the Photos app is only recognising places where I took photos on my iPhone, not all the places where my main camera has been.

Despite geotagging all of my photos on iPhoto '09 (there are markers all over the map), none of these seems to transfer over to the iPad except the iPhone ones. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Thanks a lot!

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I just checked my photos on my iPad and they are all on the map.

I'm wondering if they are getting tagged in a different spot on the image and the iPad is not recognizing them.

BTW, are you using your camera to geotag them or iPhoto or another program on your computer?

G.O.B

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Thanks for helping. What do you mean by 'getting tagged on a different part of the image'? Maybe I'm doing it wrong - I'm using iPhoto to geotag them, and I'm doing so by clicking the little 'i' in the bottom right of event thumbnails. It's strange because they appear as red markers on iPhoto, but not on the Photos app on my iPad.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Thanks for helping. What do you mean by 'getting tagged on a different part of the image'? Maybe I'm doing it wrong - I'm using iPhoto to geotag them, and I'm doing so by clicking the little 'i' in the bottom right of event thumbnails. It's strange because they appear as red markers on iPhoto, but not on the Photos app on my iPad.

I just added a photo that I manually tagged in iPhoto and I know was not tagged anywhere else.

I could not find it on the map on my iPad. I made sure that i put it in a place where I had no other pics tagged.

Very strange and HUGE oversight on Apple's part if this doesn't sync correctly.

Justinm59

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
I've had no problems, I just spent some time explaining a trip using the places feature and all the pictures were tagged perfectly. Although I am using aperture 3. Not sure if this would be an issue. Sorry it's not working for you.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I have both pictures from my iPhone and ones from other sources that I manually geotagged inside of iPhoto '09. Both types are appearing on the places map in the photo app on my iPad. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck.

cssvt

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
Not much help but for what it's worth I've had geotagging turned on on my Droid since I got it on launch day. All photos are on my iPad but only the ones taken since the 2.1 update are showing up on the map.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
This is a long shot but try this.

Go into Preferences
Click on the Web tab
Make sure "Include Location Information for Published Photos" is checked.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro

Go into Preferences
Click on the Web tab

I think you just solved the mystery.

I checked the box, added a geotag in iPhoto, synced my iPad, and it all worked.

Thanks for that!

G.O.B

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Hey Mike,

Just to add that it also worked for me, so this issue has been well and truly solved. Thanks a lot :)

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

Go into Preferences
Click on the Web tab

I haven't synced any photos to my iPad yet but thanks in advance for this, since now I'll know what to do if I run into this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.