Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minitrialer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Uk,Suffolk,Ipswich
Hi, and sorry to be a pain.I am new to FCP and have searched the forum but couldn't seem to find an answer.Here goes:
Well, when i try export a video made on my panasonic camcorder- alright quality entry level 3 chip 500 quid etc. etc. it seems no matter what format i try the motion is really blurry ( it is a video of BMX-ers) and there are funny stripy lines when they move fast and sometimes not even that fast. I want to make a video and burn it to DVD and have it nice quality, what format should i export it as?( The quality is fine when i watch it straight on the TV)
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Dan

PegasusMedia

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
problem exporting

Have you actually burned a DVD and these problems happen when playing your DVD on TV?

If not...do so. You will probably see the problem correct itself. You are seeing the difference in the way a computer monitor works vs. the way a TV works. I'm an NTSC guy, not PAL, so I won't try to explain it too technically & look stoopid. Has to do with Progressive vs. interlaced, frame rates, bla bla bla.

Suffice to say, if the problem you are seeing is only on the computer screen, you probably don't have a problem. It will likely look fine when burned & played on a TV.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
What you're seeing is interlacing. These lines are what are referred to when you see specs for broadcast monitors and such... "480 lines", "520 lines", etc. Video is split into half frames, containing every other line of information. The following frame contains the other half of the lines, and thus fast motion reveals these lines.

The blurring you are seeing could be framerate issues. If you shot at 29.97fps (which you likely did), you should edit and output at 29.97fps. If you try to adjust at anypoint, you might get this blurring.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
PegasusMedia said:
Have you actually burned a DVD and these problems happen when playing your DVD on TV?

If not...do so. You will probably see the problem correct itself. You are seeing the difference in the way a computer monitor works vs. the way a TV works. I'm an NTSC guy, not PAL, so I won't try to explain it too technically & look stoopid. Has to do with Progressive vs. interlaced, frame rates, bla bla bla.

Suffice to say, if the problem you are seeing is only on the computer screen, you probably don't have a problem. It will likely look fine when burned & played on a TV.

What s/he said!

minitrialer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Uk,Suffolk,Ipswich
thanks a lot for the reply's. No i haven't burnt it onto a DVD it's just that on some t has it and some it doesn't so i didn't think that was it. Yes it is pal so if i export it quicktime movie- DVpal 2 48khz 24@25 then in theory when i burn to a dvd and play it back it should be fine?

Thanks again for all the replies- much appreciated!
My excuse is i have only just started using the program so i didn't really have a clue what i was doing! cheers again

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
try here too:

minitrialer said:
thanks a lot for the reply's. No i haven't burnt it onto a DVD it's just that on some t has it and some it doesn't so i didn't think that was it. Yes it is pal so if i export it quicktime movie- DVpal 2 48khz 24@25 then in theory when i burn to a dvd and play it back it should be fine?

Thanks again for all the replies- much appreciated!
My excuse is i have only just started using the program so i didn't really have a clue what i was doing! cheers again

exporting a movie to DVD involves many factors:
such as the other said, making sure you have the right framerate etc..
and yes, if you are watching it on a monitor, it will look different than a TV
and exporting using proper bitrates for compression.

visit: http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=123 for more information on exporting.

good luck,
Keebler

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
if you are going from FCP to DVD studio, just go
File>Export>Quicktime Movie >Current settings> make movie self contained.
Then your not re compressing the data before it goes in to DVD studio.

If you are exporting as a QT movie for the web, use compressor & set the Frame Controls to custom & play with the de interlace settings.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
In future, you might want to check to see if your camcorder has a progressive mode. It's generally only a feature of highend camcorders, but yours might have it.

3dit3r

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2005
pdpfilms said:
What you're seeing is interlacing. These lines are what are referred to when you see specs for broadcast monitors and such... "480 lines", "520 lines", etc. Video is split into half frames, containing every other line of information. The following frame contains the other half of the lines, and thus fast motion reveals these lines.

Point of clarification for those who may have little working knowledge of video. The above information is slightly incorrect. Video is NOT split into half frames. One frame of video consists of 2 fields, even and odd or upper and lower. This delineation derives from the way a CRT gun would scan an image onto the screen. Fast motion does not reveal these lines. If you park your playhead and you see a jittery frame, you are seeing one of these fields. So speed isn't the issue.

Standards for video are: NTSC = 525 scan lines / PAL = 625 scan lines. Some SD standards have NTSC at 480 lines and PAL at 576 lines.

The blurring is most likely the result of not viewing the piece via a CRT monitor. This is commonplace with titles or text. If could be that you exported with the wrong settings as well. Make sure your export settings match your sequence settings.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
3dit3r said:
Standards for video are: NTSC = 525 scan lines / PAL = 625 scan lines. Some SD standards have NTSC at 480 lines and PAL at 576 lines.

PAL is 625 vertical lines 50Hz, (except for PAL M @525/60hz) The active area of the PAL frame is 576 lines, the remaining lines are used for blanking & vitc.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
minitrialer said:
so if i export it quicktime movie- DVpal 2 48khz 24@25 then in theory when i burn to a dvd and play it back it should be fine?
That would only make sense if you shot it at 24 frames/second. If you shot it at 25 frames/second, just go with the standard DV PAL 48KHz setting, and don't use the 24@25 setting.

3dit3r

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2005
evil_santa said:
PAL is 625 vertical lines 50Hz, (except for PAL M @525/60hz) The active area of the PAL frame is 576 lines, the remaining lines are used for blanking & vitc.

I believe that's what I wrote. I went for a simple explanation and didn't feel the need to describe how the CRT gun traces the image and where the blanking interval occurs, etc.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
3dit3r said:
I believe that's what I wrote. I went for a simple explanation and didn't feel the need to describe how the CRT gun traces the image and where the blanking interval occurs, etc.

Sorry I interpreted you post to say that PAL comes as 625 lines or 576 Lines.

I recently had a designer ask me to re size some images that were 576 up to 625 so they can be put to tape!

3dit3r

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2005
evil_santa said:
Sorry I interpreted you post to say that PAL comes as 625 lines or 576 Lines.

No problem.

evil_santa said:
I recently had a designer ask me to re size some images that were 576 up to 625 so they can be put to tape!

Ah, the age old confusion between pixels, dpi, scan lines, resolution, frame size...and the list goes on...:)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
3dit3r said:
Ah, the age old confusion between pixels, dpi, scan lines, resolution, frame size...and the list goes on...:)

Account executives at a place I used to work would send us logos pulled from the client's website to use full screen in TV spots. No matter how many times we told them, "No. Bad account executive!" they still gave us these tiny-@ss files to use and when we'd ask for graphics they'd be like, "But I gave-" and we'd interrupt, "No, I need a real graphic."

Ugh.

Lethal

3dit3r

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2005
LethalWolfe said:
Account executives at a place I used to work would send us logos pulled from the client's website to use full screen in TV spots. No matter how many times we told them, "No. Bad account executive!" they still gave us these tiny-@ss files to use and when we'd ask for graphics they'd be like, "But I gave-" and we'd interrupt, "No, I need a real graphic."

Ugh.

Lethal

Haha! The old website logo routine! Now with the proliferation of video on the web, I've got clients claiming, "...but it looks great on my computer screen...", which I then follow-up with my Video Lesson 3A speech about frame size, resolution, interlacing...basically what got me into this thread...

Ugh indeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.