Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Somehow Mail/Entourage is not sending out e-mail even though I can receive e-mail. For sending out, I entered smtp.mac.com as instructed by Apple. I have valid name/password in place. Do I need to adjust Mac OS's firewall or some other settings?

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
sdreed25 said:
You seeing an error or is it just sat in the outbox?
It just sits in the out box. Then, a pop up window comes up and asks me to "edit" "send later" and one other option (I forgot what that was). Mail has offered me an option to use other server for sending out (as I have a Optimum Online, which uses mail.optonline.net). But, both do not work as far as sending out. As far as I can tell, the settings are identical with my Windows box (HP) as I can send and receive from my HP (for my Optimum Online account).

I have Belking wireless router with WPA setting. But, I don't think this is anything to do with my home network as I can receive e-mail.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
YS2003 said:
It just sits in the out box. Then, a pop up window comes up and asks me to "edit" "send later" and one other option (I forgot what that was). Mail has offered me an option to use other server for sending out (as I have a Optimum Online, which uses mail.optonline.net). But, both do not work as far as sending out. As far as I can tell, the settings are identical with my Windows box (HP) as I can send and receive from my HP (for my Optimum Online account).

I have Belking wireless router with WPA setting. But, I don't think this is anything to do with my home network as I can receive e-mail.
I had a very similar problem with Mail, including being able to get mail but not send it and getting the error, before. It turned out that it was to do with my email provider and I had to set up a VPN to get the sending of mail to work. Applications > Internet Connect > VPN > fill in the info and mark the show VPN status. Then when I connected to the VPN had no problems sending mail. A bit of a pain, but that's life. Hope this helps

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
YS2003 said:
It just sits in the out box. Then, a pop up window comes up and asks me to "edit" "send later" and one other option (I forgot what that was).

When you get this pop up it usually gives you the actual reason in the text above..... like "Response from server: <Relaying not allowed>" in the the test I just tried. Maybe that error will help you.

I have the problem where my mail provide won't let me send the email if I am connected to the net on an ip range that isn't theirs....I get the reply message. Some isp's allow this with some form of authentication; but if you can do it from your HP then I don't see why you'd be having the issue with OS X.

The error would help.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
The message in the pop up is "Cannot send mail using server smtp.mac.com" or "Cannot send mail using server mail.optonline.net." "Use the pop-up menu below to try a different outgoing mail server. All messages will use this server until you quit Mail or change your network settings."

So, it is not an error message per se. I know the server address is correct and I am using the valid account name/password (otherwise I won't be getting an e-mail).

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
Even though the outgoing server may be correct, settings regarding it may not be. Check Apple's setup instructions for OS X Mail. Here's an excerpt I found:

Setting up Mac OS X Mail
You need to set up Mac OS X Mail to receive .Mac Mail messages.
To set up Mac OS X Mail to receive .Mac mail messages:
1. If you're using Mac OS X version 10.3 or later, open System Preferences, click .Mac, and enter your .Mac member name and password. If you're using a version of Mac OS X earlier than version 10.3, open System Preferences, click Internet, and enter your .Mac member name and password on the .Mac or iTools tab.
3. Note: If you're using Mac OS X version 10.4 or later, your Mac OS X Mail preferences are automatically configured when you enter your member name and password on the .Mac pane of System Preferences. If you're using a version of Mac OS X earlier than version 10.4, follow these steps:
4. Open Mac OS X Mail, choose Mail > Preferences, and click Accounts. If you're using Mac OS X version 10.3, click the Add (+) button; or, if you're using a version of Mac OS X earlier than version 10.3, click Add Account or Create Account. Choose .Mac or Mac.com Account from the Account Type pop-up menu, and enter your account information.
5. If you're using a version of Mac OS X earlier than version 10.2, select the "Use authentication when sending mail" checkbox, then enter your member name and password in the SMTP User and SMTP Password fields.

Your email address is entered automatically based on the member name you typed in the .Mac or Internet pane of System Preferences.

The member name and password you use for SMTP authentication must match the member name and password in the User Name and Password fields.

To switch to POP, delete the existing IMAP account before you create the new POP account. Choose POP Account from the Account Type pop-up menu instead of .Mac Account or Mac.com Account.

You can also check email when you're away from your own computer. All you need is a computer with an Internet connection and a supported web browser to check your .Mac Mail. See "Setting up .Mac Mail on the web" for more information.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
it's weird. Now it is working....

I am getting baffuled as Mail is now sending out the messages. This is very strange. But, I am using my Mac from a hotel room (as I am on business trip) with the hotel's high-speed network via Apple Airport Express Base Station. This hotel does not have the password for connecting to this wired network (even though my Airprot Express Base Station is set up with WPA encryption).

Maybe since I have not been actively using Mail for a whilte (I have only been using hotmail account), Apple server might have put my account to sleep until I started poking at their smtp server since several days ago.

I will try sending out messages once I am back at home.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
YS2003 said:
The message in the pop up is "Cannot send mail using server smtp.mac.com" or "Cannot send mail using server mail.optonline.net." "Use the pop-up menu below to try a different outgoing mail server. All messages will use this server until you quit Mail or change your network settings."

So, it is not an error message per se. I know the server address is correct and I am using the valid account name/password (otherwise I won't be getting an e-mail).

Is it possible the ISP has blocked outgoing servers other than its server for mail (spam prevention)?

Clifw1f

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2005
SBC Blocks Port 25

I had a similar problem. I found out that my hope ISP (SBC) blocks port 25. This means that they won't accept outgoing mail from my other accounts (.mac or one of the e-mail accounts attached to one of my websites).

They do this to try and prevent spammers from using their servers to push spam.

Check your account with the ISP (I did this on the web) and see if they block outgoing mail from a different smtp server.

SBC will let you request an opt out of port 25 blocking. Just fill out the form and in a day or so your e-mail should go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.