Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JW008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Ok, let me first give out a quick caveat that there is always a distinct possibility that I'm just an idiot.

So I can't figure out how to make the iPhone ring. When I get an incoming call, new voicemail, text message, etc. I hear nothing. The phone vibrates, but it doesn't make a sound.

Am I missing some kind of setting under the "sounds" setting? I have my ringtone set Marimba (which makes the sound when I set it), all the tabs are set to on (including keyboard clicks--which I don't hear when I'm using the keyboard).

I've checked the obvious stuff (made sure the silent switch wasn't on, made sure the volume was up) and I've looked through the online manual to see if there's an answer, but I've got nothing.

I know the speaker works--I've used speakerphone on a call, used it to listen to music, etc. So it's not that.

Thanks in advance!

JW008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
All right, now I tried to assign an individual ringtone to a person and then have them call me--still nothing...

Anyone else had this problem at all?

xmanxman

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2000
My phone had the same problem and I took it back to the Apple Store. It turns out that the external speakers were bad.

They popped out the old sim and put it into a new phone. However, when I docked it to my mac, it asked me all the registration info again and now I'm waiting for the darn thing to be re-activated again.

I have no idea why it's doing that.

JW008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
My phone had the same problem and I took it back to the Apple Store. It turns out that the external speakers were bad.

They popped out the old sim and put it into a new phone. However, when I docked it to my mac, it asked me all the registration info again and now I'm waiting for the darn thing to be re-activated again.

I have no idea why it's doing that.

Did you have any problems with reactivating it? Did the Apple Store people tell you that you would go through this process? (If possible) Did they give you the option of reactivating service in-store?

I have an appointment at an Apple Store 2 and a half hours away tomorrow (it's the closest one). It's already a hassle to go all the way there for a new one, it would be ridiculous if I got home and THIS one didn't work and had to turn around and go back on Monday...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.