Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirThanksalot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Hi guys,

I decided to upgrade to Ventura from Monterey a few weeks ago. At first everything was looking fine, but then I noticed a strange thing happening with my display. I have an LG monitor that connects through TB (and then everything else is connected to the LG) and it has PD up until 90W, so my Mac is getting charged normally. This was working fine. Plug in the cable, everything gets connected. After upgrading to Ventura, though, whenever I connect the display, it connects - disconnects - connects - disconnects ... all in the matter of seconds, 2s at most. I thought it might be a problem with Ventura, so I updated to Sonoma with no avail. The only thing that worked in the beginning was

1. Turn on mac
2. Work without power for about 10 min
3. Connect TB cable
4. works

However, a few days ago, I noticed another behavior:

If I connect the mac to power through the USB-C port and then connect the TB display, it (usually) works. So what the heck happened since Mojave? It's not like the Mac now needs more than 90W power? Why can't I get it to work? Does anybody else have this problem? Or maybe even a solution? (I already tried resetting PRAM and NVRAM).

Cheers
SirThanksalot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.