Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
Okay here's what I have. My MBA connects to my external Time Machine drive (a DROBO) through my Mac Pro (the TM drive is connected to the MP with a USB 2 cable). My MBA connects to the MP through my WiFi 80211n router. I have no problems with the WiFi connection to my MBA.
I have had no problems for the last nine months or so but for the last month or so I have not been able to do backups as it tells me Back Up Failed -- Cannot Mount Drive
If I look to see what disk is used for TM it does not show any. I then go to my MP and in Finder TM shows up (and my MP backs up just fine). I log onto my MBA from the MP as a User -- using the password that I have for it, go back to the MBA and in finder I can now see the TM folder and when I open it I see two Sparse Bundles -- one dated April 2008 (about two months after I got the MBA) and one dated May 2009 (about the last time TM backups worked).
I then go into TM and under Select Disc I can now see the TM disk. I select it and then click on Backup Now but the Preparing Backup takes forever and then fails.
I called AppleCare but as the TM drive was not connected to the MBA they said they couldn't help as it was a network problem.
Can anyone help me get TM working again? Do I have to delete all the sparse bundles and connect the TM drive direct to start all over again?

Shuttleworth

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
UK
Is the TM drive on the Drobo still set up as shared on your MP ? If it's changed that could be your problem. Also , can you mount the TM drive on the MBA desktop then try doing a backup?

Are you sure you're not looking at the MP TM backups :)

Also what happens if you select the TM sparsebundle but instead of starting a backup, try and enter Time Machine, does that still work? If so, you could just start a new TM backup as of now, and if you ever needed anything from the old one, you just change back to the old TM sparsebundle.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
Thanks for the reply. TM is mounted on the MP. I can navigate to TM folder from the MBA. I got tired of screwing with it and so deleted the Sparesbundle and now TM works (after 5 hours of creating a new backup).:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.