Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
Today I updated my MB Pro from Ventura and there are issues when attempting to switch users. Both users have Touch ID established and all the options for when to use it are enabled.

So as example I am now in the admin account. I click on the account name in the upper right corner and then click on the other account's icon. In the next window that comes up, the icon of that account is shown and underneath it says Enter Password. It no longer says Password or Touch. (If I do attempt Touch, the admin account just opens again.)

If I'm in the other account and want to switch to the admin account, it also just says Enter Password but Touch does work.

So:
1. Why when switching is it not giving the option of Password or Touch (but touch works anyhow going to the admin account). Is this just something new in Sonoma or is there some setting that controls this?
2. Why doesn't Touch work when going to the other account?

Any suggestions? I tried rebooting as well as deleting the fingerprint in the other account and establishing a new one.

Thanks.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
Now touch didn't work when trying to switch from the other account to the admin account. When I tried to use touch it just opened the other account again. Next time it did work, so very inconsistent. What's going on?

Last edited:

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
Mines doing the same thing, i formatted a fresh install and now my touch ID doesn't work at all pretty annoying

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
In searching this further, it appears that a number of people are having the same issues with touch id after the update. Hopefully Apple will address this.

@dmi Could you please elaborate? Where do I look for that?

Reactions: jeremz1ne

dmi

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2010
In /etc/pam.d do you see sudo_local or sudo_local.template ?
If not, do you see either
auth sufficient pam_tid.so
or
auth include sudo_local
in /etc/pam.d/sudo ?

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I see sudo_local.template.

or
auth include sudo_local
in /etc/pam.d/sudo ?
Neither.

dmi

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2010
I see sudo_local.template.

or
auth include sudo_local
in /etc/pam.d/sudo ?
Neither.
Try this:
Copy /etc/pam.d/sudo_local.template to /etc/pam.d/sudo_local
in /etc/pam.d/sudo_local, remove the # at the beginning of the line
Code:
#auth       sufficient     pam_tid.so
to leave
Code:
auth       sufficient     pam_tid.so
then add the line
Code:
auth include sudo_local
to /etc/pam.d/sudo

Reactions: mac_in_tosh

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
@dmi Thank you for the suggestions. Can you explain for the uninitiated what these changes are intended to do?
The only thing that affects is the ability to use Touch ID with the "sudo" command in Terminal. It has no other function.

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
@dmi Thank you for the suggestions. Can you explain for the uninitiated what these changes are intended to do?
Worker perfectly and first try for me:

1. switch keyboard off
  2. plugin in the keyboard to the mac
  3. switch keyboard on
  4. unplug keyboard from the mac
Bingo. Done.

worked for me

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I'm using a laptop, so no keyboard involved.

Something is definitely flaky. Even switching users sometimes takes ~15 seconds just for the user selection window to come up. Sonoma 14.1.2 didn't address it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.