Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShubhamBhatia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
I am from India and our network (vodafone) doesn't provide voicemail service and i feel i need it badly. i miss lots of calls, my older network from other state used to serve me this but by making calls and listening to voicemail and getting navigated through buttons by using numeric commands. is there any app or settings so, i wouldn't get any need of service. iphone could pick my call and say user is busy and save voicemail in phone memory, so i could get unlimited voicemails saved in my phone.

iphone 6s
ios 9.3

ShubhamBhatia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
i think ios should have this in do not disturb feature. i can say thats my demand for ios10.
[doublepost=1463242585][/doublepost]
Time to change networks.
What carrier nowadays doesn't offer voicemail? That's an ancient feature.

Sorry but this is not a possible solution here. In India people barely need it. i don't think any network will give me this full-fledged service.

ShubhamBhatia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Weird.
So networks in India dont provide voicemail?
That seems to be such ancient tech. Even carriers here 15-20 years ago provided voicemail with all wireless plans.
Weird , kind of .... but is there any alternate solution ?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
It's going to have to be a India-specific solution, most likely.

Our StraightTalk service here in the USA has old-fashioned voicemail but we're able to use our normal phone numbers in conjunction with a Google Voice number to achieve something similar to visual voicemail.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Weird , kind of .... but is there any alternate solution ?

It is weird to us that there is no voice mail. India is not a backwoods country and it is hard to believe that a carrier does not offer voice mail. Anyway it is a carrier's job to provide voice mail and no application that I know of would do what you want.

What is the reason your carriers do not provide voice mail, what do they say when asked ?

Reactions: Applejuiced

ShubhamBhatia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
What is the reason your carriers do not provide voice mail, what do they say when asked ?

Sorry sir, this service is not available in vodafone. Thankyou for calling.

I just browsed their webpages and found they have a service named voicemail, but its kind of same ****** as previous one.

I have to call some 54321 number and some pre recorded lady in creepy voice will ask my pin and then voicemail followed by number (like : sent by nine eight seven six five four three two). How would i supposed to know who the hell is he ? Should i cram all the numbers now ?

Possible to recognise the voice. But this applies same with recieving calls. Why do they tell us whose call is it. I can recognise voice. This is stupid.
[doublepost=1463267836][/doublepost]
Maybe try something like google voice?
But not sure how that will work. I know google voice has voicemail and people can leave you voice messages. It even turns them to text for you and many other features.

Google voice ask for US phone number.
[doublepost=1463267918][/doublepost]
Maybe try something like google voice?
But not sure how that will work. I know google voice has voicemail and people can leave you voice messages. It even turns them to text for you and many other features.
Anyways .. Thanks a lot. I guess i should wait for sim free international iphones. Lol

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Fascinating article and actually many Americans do what Indian people do without realizing it. They use texts instead of leaving a message if they can't get through. Or the do that missed call trick-- I know my husband and I do that. Only our elderly relatives and very formal business associates and salespeople and vendors trying to reach my husband leave voicemails. Voicemails gave their place and purpose but they do seem old school now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.