Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jotamurray

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Hi,

My iPhone 6 has a cracked screen, drained battery and the external mic doesn't work. I thought about repairing it myself since taking it to a store would cost me a fortune and not worth it as it's over 2 years old.

So I bought a battery on the internet and replaced it myself (watching the do it yourself videos seems very straight forward)
With a bit of patience I managed to replace the battery... but the screen won't start. Don't really understand what the problem as I followed the instructions and had no problems at all.
It's not a battery issue as my car's hands free system recognises the phone, so I am guessing the phone is not dead - just the screen.

Any advice?

Thanks

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
I think you may have damaged a ribbon cable when taking apart the screen. If you are able to take the screen back off: Are there are disconnected cables in the phone?

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Try to reconnect all cables from the display. It's possible that there is just a pin without connection

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Yeah just redo the cables. They’re really tricky. You got to go by feel as it has a sort of ‘click’ when you get it right.

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Hi,

My iPhone 6 has a cracked screen, drained battery and the external mic doesn't work. I thought about repairing it myself since taking it to a store would cost me a fortune and not worth it as it's over 2 years old.

So I bought a battery on the internet and replaced it myself (watching the do it yourself videos seems very straight forward)
With a bit of patience I managed to replace the battery... but the screen won't start. Don't really understand what the problem as I followed the instructions and had no problems at all.
It's not a battery issue as my car's hands free system recognises the phone, so I am guessing the phone is not dead - just the screen.

Any advice?

Thanks
Happened to me with an ifixit battery. Was dead. They sent me a new one. Plug the original battery back in and see if it turns on.

With the 6, don’t bother removing the screen. Lift it at 90 degrees, lean it against a box or book, and remove the battery. Removing lcd cables put you at too much risk of things going wrong.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.