Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cappo3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
Hi all!

I have a Macbook Pro Retina Late 2013 I never updated: I got it on Mavericks and kept it that way... Until yesterday, that is! I wanted to give High Sierra a try! So I did a Time Machine backup on an external drive and updated my system.

Well... It is a catastrophe! Safari is so broken I am writing this on Chrome (and I never use Chrome!)... It does not respond at all when typing an address and pressing Enter, it does not record any history (and completely lost the one I had on Mavericks!) and hangs up when trying to delete the (non-existing) history.

I had to already brutally restart the laptop twice, because the keyboard and trackpad stopped responding. I never had to in 4 years on Mavericks.

Siri stopped working 5 hours ago, as I decided to switch from English (United Kingdom) to English (United States).

Am I the only one experiencing such difficulties?

cappo3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
Quick update: After trying pretty much every trick in (my) book, I gave up and reverted to 10.9.5 using Time Machine. It works like a charm, I am astonished.

Now, the question being: If I was to ever update again to High Sierra (which, at this point, I highly doubt), should I perform a clean install or just wait for updates from Apple itself (being them a 10.13.1 version)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.