Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abdulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
I have a Pioneer wireless CarPlay system in my Toyota Rav4. I installed this Pioneer system in my car in late 2019 and it was paired with my iPhone 7 and it has been working flawlessly. Recently I upgraded my phone to iPhone 12 mini. I tried to connect it to my Pioneer car system and I have been facing many issues. Firstly it does not connect automatically wirelessly to my system as my iphone 7 used to do. It does connect with a USB cable and the carplay screen shows up. However when I shut down the car and restart it I found that it does not connect wirelessly automatically. I also checked that in the Pioneer system that the Bluetooth is mysteriously always turned off by itself. I tried resetting both the iphone and the Pioneer system but with no luck. I am enjoying using my iphone 12 mini and I want to use it with the Apple Carplay system. Kindly help me to resolve this problem.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Make sure wifi, bluetooth and location services are on on your iPhone. BT is just used for the initial handshake, the heavy lifting is done via a 5ghz Wifi AP.

I would forget all vehicles in settings > general > CarPlay. Forget the head unit in settings > bluetooth. And forget all iPhones in the head unit Bluetooth (and CarPlay if there is a section for that). You want the iPhone to be the last BT connected device so clearing them all out is the most reliable. You need to make the head unit ask you to enable wireless CarPlay...

Enabling wireless CarPlay can be done 3 ways, dedicated CarPlay function on the head unit (when this is built in you hold the talk button on the steering wheel), Bluetooth via the head unit, or USB via the iPhone.

Personally I would get in the car and start it without plugging in the iPhone and look for the CarPlay function on the head unit. Regardless which method you use you need either the head unit or the iPhone to prompt you with "Enable Wireless CarPlay", depending on how you paired the device you're other option will vary for example if done via USB the other option will be "Use USB". From there you should only need to tap "Enable Wireless CarPlay", "Use CarPlay", etc again depending on where the prompt is head unit or iPhone.

If you used the USB method and you unplug the iPhone there is a good chance it will not reconnect since you unplugged it on purpose. The next time you start the car the head unit should look for and reestablish a wireless CarPlay connection with your iPhone.

The main thing is getting that "Enable Wireless CarPlay" prompt or it will never reconnect using Wireless CarPlay (since you never agreed to it).

Abdulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Thanks for your reply.

I have an apple watch connected to bluetooth. I will disable it. I will make iPhone12 to be the last BT connected device and see if this resolves the issue.

NickF1234

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2022
I had the exact same issues with my pioneer head unit and phone.
Tried lots of things. Turns out it was because the wifi network of the car headunit was set not to auto join. Seems to have been turned off for some reason.

If you open CarPlay, the name of the car there will match one in the Wifi Networks area. Go for the wifi network, click on it and set it to auto play. Then try again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.