Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
I have a bunch of .avi files of recorded TV shows from my TV tuner card on my PC that I would like to convert to H.264. I am using ffmpegx to try to acheive this, but I having some problems. If I use h.264 mencoder, I get a file that won't open in Quicktime or VLC. If I use the h.264 x264 I get audio to work, but the video plays at like 20x speed. I converted to a MPEG4 .mov format and it worked properly, so I wouldn't think it is my avi file. Any thoughts?

I should warn, that I don't know much about compression things. Well, I have a little EE training and know a little about frequency domain processing, but nothing actually practical!

Thanks in advance!

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
versiontracker.com and grab iSquint. Simply the best movie file converter there in IMO.

DaveP said:
I have a bunch of .avi files of recorded TV shows from my TV tuner card on my PC that I would like to convert to H.264. I am using ffmpegx to try to acheive this, but I having some problems. If I use h.264 mencoder, I get a file that won't open in Quicktime or VLC. If I use the h.264 x264 I get audio to work, but the video plays at like 20x speed. I converted to a MPEG4 .mov format and it worked properly, so I wouldn't think it is my avi file. Any thoughts?

I should warn, that I don't know much about compression things. Well, I have a little EE training and know a little about frequency domain processing, but nothing actually practical!

Thanks in advance!

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
Cool. I was unaware of that program. I'm compressing now....

Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Make sure you grab the 1.3.1 build. there was a bug in long files with the 1.3 release. Shouldn't be a problem if you got it from there.

DaveP said:
Cool. I was unaware of that program. I'm compressing now....

Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.