Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Hi everyone,
I bought a 256MB Radeon X800 on eBay a few months back with the goal of flashing it for use in my MDD. That did not work out, as every rom I tried in it from themacelite would not work. I now have a Radeon 9800 Pro in it that works good for my needs, and anything it can't do the Geforce 6800 Ultra in my G5 can.
Today, I am actually putting together an old PC for games that were not released for Mac. I figured the X800 would be a good fit. The problem is, it has a non-working Mac rom of some type on it. Graphiccelator refuses to load the original PC rom that I backed up.
error.jpg

Obviously this is a PC rom. I guess the developer never thought anyone would try to use it to restore their original rom?
My PC of course displays no video with the card inserted, even with the onboard GPU. Most PC's disable the onboard port when it detects the AGP port is in use. So, I'm kinda stumped on what to do. X800's as you all know are not particularly cheap so I'm hoping this card isn't just a paperweight now. Any ideas?

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Hi everyone,
I bought a 256MB Radeon X800 on eBay a few months back with the goal of flashing it for use in my MDD. That did not work out, as every rom I tried in it from themacelite would not work. I now have a Radeon 9800 Pro in it that works good for my needs, and anything it can't do the Geforce 6800 Ultra in my G5 can.
Today, I am actually putting together an old PC for games that were not released for Mac. I figured the X800 would be a good fit. The problem is, it has a non-working Mac rom of some type on it. Graphiccelator refuses to load the original PC rom that I backed up.
View attachment 970147
Obviously this is a PC rom. I guess the developer never thought anyone would try to use it to restore their original rom?
My PC of course displays no video with the card inserted, even with the onboard GPU. Most PC's disable the onboard port when it detects the AGP port is in use. So, I'm kinda stumped on what to do. X800's as you all know are not particularly cheap so I'm hoping this card isn't just a paperweight now. Any ideas?

there is a specific "install PC ROM into ATI Flasher" option in graphiccelerator in one of the drop down menus

I have used this very successfully to flash PC ROMs to a number of my ATI Video cards

Reactions: Project Alice

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
there is a specific "install PC ROM into ATI Flasher" option in graphiccelerator in one of the drop down menus

I have used this very successfully to flash PC ROMs to a number of my ATI Video cards
Wow, I feel stupid. I didn't see that option
I got it flashed back over and the card is working in a PC again. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.