Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ullbeking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2018
London
Hello!

I tried to transfer my Notes folder from my old (Cyrus) IMAP server to my new email server (also Cyrus). The messages are not showing in Notes.app although I know they are there.

First I made a backup of my IMAP Notes folder in case something went wrong. This turned out to be a good idea. I simply used an IMAP client (Thunderbird) to copy all messages from the Notes folder on the old server to a folder on the new server called Backup-Notes-abc123, so that the new folder name wouldn't get confused with the automatically generated name (by Notes.app) on the new server. This is still intact, however it holds references to the old server, old hostnames, etc.

Then, to try to create the new Notes folder on the new server, I created a folder on the new server using the Notes application. I manually selected and moved all messages from the Notes directory on the old server to Notes on the new server, using Notes.app .

Unfortunately the messages are not showing up in Notes, and the name of the folder in my IMAP client is greyed out and italicized. However occasionally I can see the notes messages by using an email client on the new IMAP server, or by fiddling with the path prefix in the advanced settings tab of Notes' account settings page.

I am seeing many strange things in my investigations, including multiple Notes folders, including one that has 5 spaces as the suffic of its name.

Something is seriously wrong with not only the way the Notes have been stores on the new server, but also how they have been indexed on my local machine.

What is the best way to erase all corrupt data and regenerated Notes on the new server? As I mentioned, I still have all the old messages as mail messages, but their metadata matches the old server, not the new one.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Kind regards,

U'll Be King

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.