Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lifeboy001

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2005
Hi all-

I'm attempting to reformat an external drive that was once in my old Windows machine- I have no problem reading file on the drive, but it as marked as read-only and will not let me write/delete. I would love to reformat this drive at some point and find a better use for it, and any advice on how to fix it would be wonderful. Thanks!

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
lifeboy001 said:
Hi all-

I'm attempting to reformat an external drive that was once in my old Windows machine- I have no problem reading file on the drive, but it as marked as read-only and will not let me write/delete. I would love to reformat this drive at some point and find a better use for it, and any advice on how to fix it would be wonderful. Thanks!

I'm assuming you're using OS X! Use Disk Utility located in the Utilities folder.
:cool:

lifeboy001

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2005
yenko said:
I'm assuming you're using OS X! Use Disk Utility located in the Utilities folder.
:cool:

Yes, that much has been figured out...for some reason, I cannot format (or execute any useful functions for that matter) this particular drive. The only reason being that I can see would be that is is designated read-only for some reason and I cannot change that...

Richard

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Disk Utility should be able to override any write-protection. Make sure you have the drive highlighted in the left column of disk-utility. (The actual drive, which is located above the volume.) Then select Partition, and select one partition (assuming you want a single partition) , name it, and click on Partition. See if this works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.