Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JugglingSalmon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2021
I recently opened up my brand new Macbook Air, the 2020 version with the M1 chip. All was good and well, until I forgot my password. Having not been able to properly set up an Apple ID account, I was left to reinstall macOS Big Sur on the thing.

After attempting to do so, I ran into the infamous "An error occurred failed to personalize when Installing Big Sur." error. I then followed the official steps through the instructions stated in this video:

Following the instructions at the 8:40 mark, I erased my drives, both "Data" and "Macintosh HD" before proceeding and attempting to once again reinstall macOS with the hopes of not getting the aforementioned error. But upon doing so, I didn't expect to be left with a "Container disk3" under an Apple SDD:

Problem_1.jpg

And now, when I get to the part where it asks me to "Select the disk where you want to install macOS," there's nothing to click!

Problem_2.jpg

I scoured the web and have unfortunately found absolutely nothing. I've tried adding an APFS volume to the container but doing so has only resulted in another error:

Problem_3.jpg

This was likely stupidity on my part, but at this point I'm reaching out for help as I have no idea what to do anymore. Really appreciate anyone who could lend me a hand here. Thanks!

Last edited:

hosenfefer

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2021
I didn't watch the video you linked, but I had the same problem in your screenshots. Have you tried using the resetpassword + Recovery Assistant + Erase Mac process as outlined here?

If you get a personalization error when reinstalling macOS on your Mac with Apple M1 chip - Apple Support

My problem was that I only ran through it once, then I tried to manually fix it.

Starting over and running steps 3-9 twice through did it for me.

You'll know it's ready if you don't see anything but Untitled on the internal storage.

This was on an M1 13" MB Pro

Reactions: Quackers

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
I didn't watch the video you linked, but I had the same problem in your screenshots. Have you tried using the resetpassword + Recovery Assistant + Erase Mac process as outlined here?

If you get a personalization error when reinstalling macOS on your Mac with Apple M1 chip - Apple Support

My problem was that I only ran through it once, then I tried to manually fix it.

Starting over and running steps 3-9 twice through did it for me.

You'll know it's ready if you don't see anything but Untitled on the internal storage.

This was on an M1 13" MB Pro
Do this with the second method.

buckrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2020
Fresno, California
I have done this a few times but it doesn't go all the way through. What should I do?
Assuming you have a bootable USB installer, startup with option key and choose the installer drive. Use the USB's DiskUtility to reformat your internal SSD (APFS) and don't bother to set up containers. The installer will make what it needs which is a lot. You should be able now to choose your MacHD as the install disk.

1mpact

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2022
I recently opened up my brand new Macbook Air, the 2020 version with the M1 chip. All was good and well, until I forgot my password. Having not been able to properly set up an Apple ID account, I was left to reinstall macOS Big Sur on the thing.

After attempting to do so, I ran into the infamous "An error occurred failed to personalize when Installing Big Sur." error. I then followed the official steps through the instructions stated in this video:

Following the instructions at the 8:40 mark, I erased my drives, both "Data" and "Macintosh HD" before proceeding and attempting to once again reinstall macOS with the hopes of not getting the aforementioned error. But upon doing so, I didn't expect to be left with a "Container disk3" under an Apple SDD:

View attachment 1717534

And now, when I get to the part where it asks me to "Select the disk where you want to install macOS," there's nothing to click!

View attachment 1717535

I scoured the web and have unfortunately found absolutely nothing. I've tried adding an APFS volume to the container but doing so has only resulted in another error:

View attachment 1717542

This was likely stupidity on my part, but at this point I'm reaching out for help as I have no idea what to do anymore. Really appreciate anyone who could lend me a hand here. Thanks!
Hi, I got the same problem on my mac pro. Did you solve the problem? How to fix this problem?

sergiotbh

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2022
Guadalajara, México
Hi, I got the same problem on my mac pro. Did you solve the problem? How to fix this problem?
I was having the exact same problem and I found out you were dealing with this too at the same time. After a few hours I could fix it by following the instructions on this article: https://torbet.co/posts/Mac-Error-fix

Unfortunately, to do this you'll need another Mac but it does work like a charm. I tried the "Revive" option but gave me an error so I recommend going for "Restore" directly.

For future reference, in case the above link stops working, it basically describes the process to restore your Mac with the help of another Mac using Apple Configurator 2 connecting them with a USB-C cable.

You can also follow the instructions on this video, which explains some minor differences of the process with a M1 Mac

Hope this helps!

1mpact

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2022
I was having the exact same problem and I found out you were dealing with this too at the same time. After a few hours I could fix it by following the instructions on this article: https://torbet.co/posts/Mac-Error-fix

Unfortunately, to do this you'll need another Mac but it does work like a charm. I tried the "Revive" option but gave me an error so I recommend going for "Restore" directly.

For future reference, in case the above link stops working, it basically describes the process to restore your Mac with the help of another Mac using Apple Configurator 2 connecting them with a USB-C cable.

You can also follow the instructions on this video, which explains some minor differences of the process with a M1 Mac

Hope this helps!
thank u so much. i have a second mac. i'll try this solution and i'll write here the situation. thnx again.

1mpact

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2022
thank u so much. i have a second mac. i'll try this solution and i'll write here the situation. thnx again.
Hi again. I fixed the problem. But i don't used this metod. I delete mac on disk utilities. Here is
Go disk utilities.
Open terminal and type "resetpassword" command then go to left top on mac.
Choose disk utilities. On there is "delete my mac".
Choose the this option and you can see your disk after the restart.
Hi again. I fix the problem. But i don't use this metod. I delete mac on disk utilities. Go disk utilities. Open terminal and
type "resetpassword" then go to left top on mac. choose disk utilities. On there is "delete my mac". Choose the this option and you can see your disk after the restart.

Hope this helps you :)

crslade

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
Hi again. I fixed the problem. But i don't used this metod. I delete mac on disk utilities. Here is
Go disk utilities.
Open terminal and type "resetpassword" command then go to left top on mac.
Choose disk utilities. On there is "delete my mac".
Choose the this option and you can see your disk after the restart.
Hi again. I fix the problem. But i don't use this metod. I delete mac on disk utilities. Go disk utilities. Open terminal and
type "resetpassword" then go to left top on mac. choose disk utilities. On there is "delete my mac". Choose the this option and you can see your disk after the restart.

Hope this helps you :)
This worked for me. As well (it says "Erase Mac...", not delete my mac).

1. When you get to the screen that has the Reinstall option, and disk utilities options, go to the menu and under utilities you will see Terminal.
2. In the terminal, type "resetpassword".
3. You will see a screen pop up with something about resetting your password.
4. Click on the apple, and you will see a "Erase Mac..." option.
5. Click the link "Erase Mac ..." on the screen that pops up. Your mac will do something and then reboot.
6. After booting, you will be at the same menu in step 1. But this time, when you install macOS, you will see your drive to reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.