Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hlewenhaupt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2021
Hi guys!

I just switched jobs and changed from a 16" MacBook Pro to the 13" one. The old one was from March, so not very old. I have a Sony TV as my external monitor and it worked perfectly with the old MacBook. But after changing to the new one I have issues rendering things that are red. This goes for fonts and icons, regardless of application.
I have tried changing all the font smoothing options out there. I have tried the forced RGB stuff via EDID overrides. I have tried changing settings on the TV but nothing seems to fix it.

I have tried taking screenshots of the problem and then show the screenshot on the MacBook own screen and then the issue isn't visible anymore. The TV is 4k.

I have tried multiple HDMI cables and all exhibit the same issue.
At work I have an external 2K monitor which doesn't exhibit the issue and I have the same docking station which I bring back and forth.

The only thing I can think of to try now is the docking station as it could have some issues sending 4k60Hz, but I can't really see any improvement if I set the screen to 2k either.

Sort of at my wits end here. Anyone with any idea or similar experience?

20210909_090004.jpg

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I've seen that characteristic smudgy reds look before when using a TV as a monitor, and IIRC was due to the screen running in 4:2:2 chroma mode or whatever it's called. Must admit I don't really know the ins and outs of that stuff.

hlewenhaupt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2021
Thank god that's it! I know remember I had to do this stuff with an old dell laptop at a previous company and the solution was to either go to 4k@30Hz which did solve it now (which actually worked now too!) or switch to an active DP to HDMI adapter. So I guess the docking station at my old job actually supported 4k@60Hz and not semi-support it as the current docking station does. Guess it's time to grab a dedicated usb-c to dp adapter and try my active dp to hdmi adapter again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.