Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inkanus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2020
I bought recently IMac 2011. I noticed some problems with wifi. Mac is connected to the network, but wifi is very slow, about 2MB/s or even slower. Checked by CleanMyMac Speed Test. WIFI on my phone (Redmi Note 9 Pro) works very well, speed test on my phone at the same time was about 50MB/s. Where is the problem? Turning off the router helps, but only for a maximum of one, two days

Inkanus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2020
Clean install. I turned off icloud sync but that didn't help. The problem may only be with the router or IMac wi-fi card. As I wrote earlier, on a Xiaomi phone and two iPads, wifi works great at the same time as it does not work on the IMac.

Inkanus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2020
If you set your Redmi Note 9 as wifi router and connect your iMac wifi to it, do you still get the same slow wifi?

If it somehow works better your router and iMac doesn't play well.
Thanks! Yes it works. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the hardest to find. When i set Redmi Note as a router, wifi works good. So now we now that the problem is not with my IMac wifi card but, the problem is with the router. Thanks again!

Reactions: Kent W

Bdzhola

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2021
Thanks! Yes it works. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the hardest to find. When i set Redmi Note as a router, wifi works good. So now we now that the problem is not with my IMac wifi card but, the problem is with the router. Thanks again!
Set up Wi-Fi 5 GHz in the router

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.