Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuckedinred

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
every time i try to install a .pkg file, i get a message saying "there were errors installing this software." i have gotten this message with every .pkg file i've tried to install. has anyone ever had this problem or know how i could go about solving it?

:confused: :confused:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It almost sounds as if you've deleted some piece of Mac OS X software that's required.

Do Apple .pkg files fail as well?

tuckedinred

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
every pkg file i've tried to install. i don't know when i started, but i haven't been able to use one since. so yes, apple ones too.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
tuckedinred said:
every time i try to install a .pkg file, i get a message saying "there were errors installing this software." i have gotten this message with every .pkg file i've tried to install. has anyone ever had this problem or know how i could go about solving it?

:confused: :confused:

Is there any more information in the Console? (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I would also suggest (in addition to checking the logs) repairing permissions. As this might be a generic error splat if they installer cannot write into /Library/Receipts or /tmp or anywhere else it's trying to write to. And finally create another admin user and try and install them as well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.