Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abqhudson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
84 year old senior had a terrible experience with Apple customer service - iPhone 12 mini. I ordinarily don't text often, but needed to text recently and my iPhone was not giving me the specified alert telling me that I had a text return. Faint (to me) haptic - set on prominent and a slight sound which i could not hear. I did get alerts from the phone sometimes. So I called Apple Care - after an hour on the phone with an advisor who clearly did not know how my phone worked - he suggested that it might be my speaker on the phone and set up an appointment at the local Apple Genius bar. My experience at the "Genius" bar was worse. Spent two hours with two "geniuses" who clearly also did not understand how the phone worked when the owner was wearing his iWatch. Reset my iPhone (messed up all of the settings for me to figure out again - like setting up a new phone) couldn't get email/internet etc.. Reset my iWatch (messed up my iwatch ....). At each reset, the genius left me to help other customers and then after the reset I had to wait 5-10 minutes for my "help" to resume. Finally the first genius was leaving so I was given a second genius who told me i could only get alerts if i was not wearing my iwatch (incorrect) and that I could not get phone alerts unless I locked my iphone - also incorrect. He said that it was not possible to get a phone alert if I was wearing my iWatch - also incorrect. So after two hours he sent me home with no help -"that is just the way it works".

So this old senile senior had to go home - spend another two hours to re-establish the phone and watch and figure out for himself how to get a phone alert for a text. Simple to do once you figure out how the watch and phone function. Wife says to go to a Pixel - she loves hers - just may have to do that.
Apple Support just seems to get worse and worse.
My apology for my rant about my frustration.
An interesting aside - I received no link for a survey regarding my Apple Care or Genius visit.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
In my usage time since the S2, when you have a paired Apple Watch to your iPhone, your watch is the one that alerts you to text messages or instant messaging. Only if your iPhone has been active in the last 2 minutes do you get double alert.

It's a weird setting with the iPhone and one I wish I could change to do one or the other (or both for some people).

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
The new Pixel looks nice but I suspect if the iPhone seems complicated it might be more so. I would at least play around with her phone before you decide to spend money. Also you’ll need a new watch as the Apple Watch isn’t compatible with the Pixel.

abqhudson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
In my usage time since the S2, when you have a paired Apple Watch to your iPhone, your watch is the one that alerts you to text messages or instant messaging. Only if your iPhone has been active in the last 2 minutes do you get double alert.

It's a weird setting with the iPhone and one I wish I could change to do one or the other (or both for some people).
fix - my watch no longer alerts me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.