Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmac190

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
I have read up all about the continuity camera and the ability to right click on the iMac desktop / pages etc to activate your phone camera in order to take a picture for it to magically appear on the app you are using.

The videos all make it look so easy. With me it's a hit or a miss. If I right click on the desktop I get this with the option to take a photo greyed out

Screenshot 2018-09-27 at 20.18.18.png

On pages I get this

Screenshot 2018-09-27 at 20.18.52.png

I have had it working before but I don't think I do anything different.

I have an iPhone 6 plus on iOS 12 and late 2012 iMac.

Anyone else have similar issues? Is there anything else I need to do to get this working?

Thanks

gmac

Last edited:

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I see the same thing. Fortunately, it's not a feature I'm anxious for, so I've put no effort into solving it. But I would like to know why it's doing that.

Reactions: gmac190

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I've used this a few times already and it worked great. Very convenient. Are both devices signed into the same iCloud account? I just tested needing to be on the same WiFi network and they don't.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I've used this a few times already and it worked great. Very convenient. Are both devices signed into the same iCloud account? I just tested needing to be on the same WiFi network and they don't.

Sure, that's all configured correctly. I know because, other than this, my continuity features work 60% of the time. :D

Additionally, I do know for a fact that it's the same iCloud account and the same wi-fi. I can cut-n-paste across devices, share web pages across locations, etc. It's just this feature that doesn't want to work.

Also, I do already have the camera open on my phone. I've tried it both ways.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Besides being on the same Wi-Fi network, Bluetooth needs to be enabled and in range, too.

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
i have no issue with continuity camera, even worked with my older devices.
continuity.jpg

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Sure, that's all configured correctly. I know because, other than this, my continuity features work 60% of the time. :D

Additionally, I do know for a fact that it's the same iCloud account and the same wi-fi. I can cut-n-paste across devices, share web pages across locations, etc. It's just this feature that doesn't want to work.

Also, I do already have the camera open on my phone. I've tried it both ways.

Tried all the usual, I assume - reboot all devices, try reset network settings on iPhone, log out and log back into iCloud on devices? If all that failed, I'd give Apple a call before you take any nuclear options like resetting all content in your iPhone and restoring the backup or reinstalling the OS.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
In my case, don't know if it was just a matter of time or logging out from iCloud helped to get it working. Anyway, I find it a bit unstable... it would be a nice feature if Safari supported photo uploading from continuity camera.

gmac190

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Thanks for all the replies, I will try and reset all settings and logging out of icloud to see if that works. To be honest I'mnot sure how much I'll use the feature but I just like things to work.
[doublepost=1538144742][/doublepost]
Besides being on the same Wi-Fi network, Bluetooth needs to be enabled and in range, too.

bluetooth is on on both devices and within about 3 inches of each other!

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
Thanks for all the replies, I will try and reset all settings and logging out of icloud to see if that works. To be honest I'mnot sure how much I'll use the feature but I just like things to work.

is your iMac 2012 or newer? iOS devices on iOS 12 ?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008

How'd it go?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Holy crap, it worked.

I had them on different wifi networks, same IP subnet, both with BT enabled. From notes on the MBPro I inserted from my iPhone, and it worked.

gmac190

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
don't ask me how because I don't think I have done anything to try and resolve this BUT everything seems to be working as it should be. Sorry I can't be more precise.

Kudos to all those that replied with suggestions

Reactions: 0970373

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
don't ask me how because I don't think I have done anything to try and resolve this BUT everything seems to be working as it should be. Sorry I can't be more precise.

Kudos to all those that replied with suggestions

Hey that's great news. Please can you start threads about Mojave's sleep issues and Samsung printer compatibility, let's see if those disappear too. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.